• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Diagrams

Links etc to wiring diagrams

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surfpictures/Techy.htm

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801615ba.jsp
    Last edited by Koi; 27 October 2004, 08:57.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Wiring Diagram issue - Fuel Pump Solenoid

This is my virgin post, so please bear with me:

My 1992 2.4 TD Surf wouldn't start first time from cold, and when it eventually caught it'd spew out grey smoke.
    Not being as technically proficient as some of you obviously are, I took it to a mechanic, who said it was most likely the glow plugs. He reckoned there was a short on the glow plug relay, so he tinkered about and made some changes, and now the beast won't start at all.
    I asked them checked the fuses and that the glow plugs are insulated.

He reckons (as does the auto electrician he's consulted) that the fuel pump is no longer letting diesel into the engine. I gave the electrician the wiring diagram posted by Koi (see link below)
    http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surfpictures/Techy.htm
    but he says it doesn't match up with what's under the bonnet.
    The diagram shows the fuel pump solenoid as being earthed, but he says it's not earthed. Instead it's got a negative wire coming from it, which is linked to another switch on the solenoid.
    Now this wasn't an issue until I took it to the garage.
    Sparkie asked if I'd ever jump started it (No), as he's seen similar problems in cars where a jump has shorted the computer.

So, two questions:
    1) Could this be down to something the garage have done, as they were charging the batteries up (because the sparky reckoned one was duff)?
    2) Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 92 2.4 (other than the KZN130)?

Comment

I've got the proper Toyota circuit for the LN130 and it shows the fuel cut off solenoid with a black/yellow 12V feed and the other side connected to ground. If your mech. reckons the other side is not connected to ground could it be something to do with an after-market immobiliser?

The circuit is too big for me to scan but if you want it email me your address and I'll photocopy and post it to you. (roger@gamedawn.freeserve.co.uk)
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Cheers, but...

That's the same as the KZN130 diagram.
        The sparkie's the guy who fitted my immobiliser, so he should recognise his own handiwork (it was only done a couple of weeks ago).

Had a quick trawl around the net and couldn't find any other diagrams myself.
        After 3 weeks it's getting to the stage where I'm considering taking it to a dealership - at least they should have proper schematics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebula
          The sparkie's the guy who fitted my immobiliser, so he should recognise his own handiwork (it was only done a couple of weeks ago).

After 3 weeks it's getting to the stage where I'm considering taking it to a dealership - at least they should have proper schematics.
          Sounds like they really don't know whats what, they reckon this reckon that rather than state facts.
          Bottom line is it started before they started guessing games and playing around and altering things. Alot of the stuff on the Surf is negative switching as opposed to positive switching which is what is used on most cars over here. So if people look at wiring based on what they know on most cars it will be different on the Surf.

Black smoke on start up could indicate over fuelling, glow plug failure but grey smoke is more common with water in the combustion chamber.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Nebula

The drawing I was quoting from is published by Toyota for the 1991 model year - it is probably more than a UK dealer will have. There are three model variations shown and all wire the fuel solenoid the same way. The point is that the trucks wiring will be essentially the same regardless of model or year i.e. most 2nd gens will be the same. Therefore I think the likelyhood is that it's your truck that's out of step.
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Looks like I need to change the title on my techy page from Generally to Loosely based on KZN130 the drawings are from the older models and some vehicles will differ with the cable colours!

With respect of your motor it sounds like they have managed to make things worse. What started as a glow plug problem has escalated.

It may be as simple as the fuse for the fuel cut solenoid which is in the drivers side kick panel fuse box.

As for the drawing there is no colour reference for the earth so this means that the earth is through the body of the solenoid to the chassis.

Rich.
              If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Difficult starting - glow plugs

Hi

I had a siular problem with my Surf - 1997 SSR-G in that the glow plug warning light illuminated only for 1sec - resulting in the engine difficult to start. The auto-electrician pinned it down to a relay fault within the ECU, his solution was to fit an external relay which solved the problem. Not sure if this helps??

Regards

Bob - Colne Lancs

Comment

starting problem

Hi I would like to know what happen with your Truck. I have a prado1991 2.4 Turbo diesel and and he is having the same problem. It do not start. It`s in the shop since 3 weeks.They told me, there is no power getting to the fuel pump. They want to lok at all the wireing but we need the electrical diagram. I did not found one yet. It`s going to cost me a lot so if any one have an idea let me know.

Ben

Comment

mate the thread is 4 yr don't think he will respond

Comment

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/vie...ds.php?dcid=14

Comment

Working...
                      X