UK stereo into a 3d Gen - advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK stereo into a 3d Gen - advice?

I collect my 1996 3rd Gen SSR-X from the dealers next week and my first job will be putting my exisiting stereo headunit in. Its a old Kenwood KDC 5050R but its mine and it sounds great!!

I have been reading as many of the relevant threads as i could find and am getting a bit worried about the install. Most of the threads seem to relate to older Surfs than mine and i was wondering if there has been any changes to the audio side of things between the generations?

Is it true that the jap radio thats in already will be in a slot too narrow to take a uk unit?

And all this talk about extra amps in the back for the rear speakers - can i bypass the amps, replace the speakers and run them directly from the headunits amp?

thanks in advance

adam
    adam

"silly keeps you sane"

ADAM im in SALE so if you need any help let me know. your new headunit will go staight in.
    The amps are fitted to the speakers so no extra work to do so dont worry
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

thanks Marky.

I'm assuming that all i'll really need to buy (well to start with anyway....i've still got to convince the wife we need more speakers!) is one of those wiring adapters that clips to the iso plug on the kenwood.

I think i'll just plug it in a see how it sounds - i may be pleasantly surprised.

adam
      adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Originally posted by lightningad
        thanks Marky.

I'm assuming that all i'll really need to buy (well to start with anyway....i've still got to convince the wife we need more speakers!) is one of those wiring adapters that clips to the iso plug on the kenwood.

I think i'll just plug it in a see how it sounds - i may be pleasantly surprised.

adam
        The surf speakers are very good test them and see, You will have to buy the ISO adapter from Halfords most probably
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

New stereo

Hi just spent last day fitting a new head unit and bought the iso wiring adapter from this web site, there are two things to be aware with the adapter, the aerial feed triggers the on board amp and raises the electric aerial. I wanted to manually raise the aerial and was faced with two wires one which triggers the amp and one which triggers the aerial, i cut the right one and put a switch in line (these two wires are joined in the iso adapter) put every thing back together and radio coming through all speakers, changed input to cd and only sound through front speakers also aerial now down . It turns out that my stereo disconnects the aerial trigger when cd's are played ,problem solved as stereo has a trigger feed to an external amp all i done was join this to the amp feed wire, also check that your stereo does not do this as it was a pain to have to remove the whole dash again.

Comment

what did you do with the big hole under or above the kenwood? i presume it is not double din?
            I just got a £ gen and want to put my kenwood in it.
            I collect my 1996 3rd Gen SSR-X from the dealers next week and my first job will be putting my exisiting stereo headunit in. Its a old Kenwood KDC 5050R but its mine and it sounds great!!

I have been reading as many of the relevant threads as i could find and am getting a bit worried about the install. Most of the threads seem to relate to older Surfs than mine and i was wondering if there has been any changes to the audio side of things between the generations?

Is it true that the jap radio thats in already will be in a slot too narrow to take a uk unit?

And all this talk about extra amps in the back for the rear speakers - can i bypass the amps, replace the speakers and run them directly from the headunits amp?

thanks in advance

adam
            [url]www.higgsengineering.co.uk/carbonfibre.htm[/url]

Comment

thanks in advance

adam
              Hiya
              Yes, as already said, your kenwood should fit fine.
              You won't find any amps in the back of a 3rd gen cos they never had them. You might however find a small amp in the dash behind the head unit. You'll probably only have this if your Surf had the 6 speaker premium sound system from the factory (you'll have tweeters in the front doors near the wing mirrors if you do). Even if you do have an amp there, it can be bypassed. The vehicles loom will be connected into the bottom of the amp. The amp's output then goes to the existing head unit. Simply take out the loom from the bottom of the amp, plug it into the iso lead, then connect to your head unit. If you don't want to bypass the amp, you'll need a different ISO lead (Autoleads do both).
              Hope this helps
              Cheers
              Rob

Comment

the slot in the dash is too small to fit my kenwood h/u and the tray the dealer supplied is too small too, what am i doing wrong or do i start cutting

Comment

you gotta take the dash lower half off to fit it.. no as bad as it sounds.. some people fit the thing sticking out so if it gets nicked the dont #### the dash getting it out
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by marky.b
                    the slot in the dash is too small to fit my kenwood h/u and the tray the dealer supplied is too small too, what am i doing wrong or do i start cutting
                    Read these instructions for the 3rd gen dash.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...=3rd+gen+radio

Comment

cheers guys, guess I'll be playing tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                      X