spotlights, factory loom, change switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spotlights, factory loom, change switching

Ok chaps, searched the forum with no clues as to my particular problem, so hopefully one the fonts of wisdom around here can help

So on my 2l SSR-G I have a factory loom for front spots which I plugged my new spots into. There is an isolator switch in the centre console (again, factory fitted) and with this on, the spots don't power up until I switch on sidelights or main beam. So I'm picking there is a relay already fitted and my question (finally!) Is.....how do I change the switching so that spots only come on with high beam whilst keeping the isolator switch as part of the circuit? I'm assuming I just need to change the connection at the relay but any idea where the relay would be and which wire/terminal would be responsible for switching?

I don't see a need to do a re-wire, surely I can just change the switching circuit at relay, or add a new relay???
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

You need to find where they have taken the feed from the side light circuit and move it to the full beam feed.

Relay is most likely going to be sited within the engine bay close to pick up to keep live feed as shott as possible.

Look for an in line fuse one of the wires coming from one of the side light feeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
      You need to find where they have taken the feed from the side light circuit and move it to the full beam feed.

Relay is most likely going to be sited within the engine bay close to pick up to keep live feed as shott as possible.

Look for an in line fuse one of the wires coming from one of the side light feeds.
      Cheers for pointing me in the right direction!

So I have found the headlight relay and spotlight relay under the drivers side kick panel, above the fusebox.....

So my question is, WHICH wire to swap to where, my book of lies (haynes) doesn't have ANY of the circuit diagrams for the spotlight circuit. Oh yeah, the relay for spots looks like a four pin and also, if it's relevant, out front, one spotty has 4 wires going to it and the left hand has just two
      Life is not a dress rehearsal
      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
      (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

Sounds like they took the feed from the tail light circuit, Middle fuse, top row 10Amp.

You need to disconnect this one and run a new cable for head light circuit back to the relay. You can pick this up at the connections for the lighting stalk on the steering column, from memory this is coded red/green, but you will need to confirm with a meter before splicing in to it. it seems they used different colours depending on country truck went to.(plus my wiring diagrams only go to 1995)

most likely the four wires in the one lamp will be two for the power (12V+) in and ground (12v-), the other two will be a matched feed/ground to the other lamp from my take on your description.

Comment

Working...
        X