Altimeter / Clinometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altimeter / Clinometer

Woohoo !. Wife and kids don't know yet but its beans on toast for a few months. Have found a lonely altimeter / clinometer and offered it an all expenses paid trip to England and a home in my newly aquired surf. Should be here in a few days.

Have read a few threads on fitting them but none of them seem to show where or how they mount onto dash. Also, is connector on loom readily accessible. Any pictures or diagrams greatly appreciated.

Paul,
    Most inclinometers need no connection to work, they are like say a compass, so you can really postition them anywhere, so long as you can see it.
    however, if you want to see it in the dark, then you do need a electrical connection for the back light, ideally to work in conjuction with the dash lamps.
    Some have an internal battery for back lighting.

Depends on what you have bought but either way, you'll not need a supply for it to work only to back light.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks Sewerat. Have bought a pukka Surf one which appears to have two studs underneath that obviously go through top of dash. Also, has electrical wire which will be for backlight. Have read a few previous threads that seemed to suggest that cos it was a factory option there was already a loom and mounting plate under the dash. Will have a fish around when it arrives. Thought someone on the forum may have put one in at some time and could point in the right direction. If not, I'll get the voltmeter out (again).

Comment

where did you find it?
        what should i look for (what they called)?

I've just paid my deposit for a 96 SSR-X 3.0diesel and i quite fancy some extra gadgets to go inside when it finishes at the the importers.

thanks

adam
        adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

I got this one off ebay for £25 but to be honest you never really rely on them
          Attached Files
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by crashyb
            Thanks Sewerat. Have bought a pukka Surf one which appears to have two studs underneath that obviously go through top of dash. Also, has electrical wire which will be for backlight. Have read a few previous threads that seemed to suggest that cos it was a factory option there was already a loom and mounting plate under the dash. Will have a fish around when it arrives. Thought someone on the forum may have put one in at some time and could point in the right direction. If not, I'll get the voltmeter out (again).
            Just a note on the Surf one, I thought mine was reading low/or broken, then I realised that its in meters when the heights in the UK are in feet, so for 3000ft read just under 1000 mtrs. Is that right?
            ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

This SURF one is on ebay at the moment
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...492082062&rd=1
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Lightningad, sorry for not replying sooner. have mate working in Japan and he tracked one down for me. Have asked him to keep an eye out for more.

Mines arrived now and has come with two studs in base that have nuts on them for mounting and two wires with connector for plugging into loom to light it up.

Have removed lower passenger side dash and glove box. Hung upside down for a bit and think I may have found the connector on the main loom. Need to electrical test it to see if it is sidelight operated. Can't see where to mount it yet as there is a heater duct that runs under dashboard and obscures any view of where factory mounting points might be.

Would really appreciate any pictures anyone has taken of a factory fitted one on their dashboard and the loom connection. If not, anyone taken off the upper passenger side dash ?. Lots of instructions available for drivers side but can't find anything for passenger side.

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  This SURF one is on ebay at the moment
                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...492082062&rd=1
                  Note this is for a 2nd gen surf
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by lightningad
                    where did you find it?
                    what should i look for (what they called)?

I've just paid my deposit for a 96 SSR-X 3.0diesel and i quite fancy some extra gadgets to go inside when it finishes at the the importers.

thanks

adam
                    If its a 3rd Gen they often have them mounted overhead any way so chances are you won't need one.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

that one on ebay is over 100 quid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      i think i might just selotape a cheap spirit level to the dash!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
                        If its a 3rd Gen they often have them mounted overhead any way so chances are you won't need one.

Cheers

Andy

Pretty sure i didn't see one when we took it out for a testdrive.....though i might have missed it. We shall have to wait and see.

cheers andy.
                        adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Surf LN130
                          Mine is as pic- sorry slightly blurry havent got used to close work on camera, was cold aswell!
                          Nearside trim:
                          10mm bolt on far left next to door opening, low down.
                          Bottom of glove box, 1x cross head screw each side of flap.
                          Open glovebox, 3x cross head screws along top edge.
                          I moved the lower centre trim (on carpet) by using a small screwdriver to push in either side, grey circular clip centre.
                          Top edge of this trim just snaps in and out.
                          Lift out lower centre trim, then glovebox (id close it as it comes free if its anything like mine!)
                          My clinometer has a x head screw either side, undoing them releases the meter(i think), and leaves the brackets exposed.
                          Disconnect wire from sidelights and thats it.
                          Hope this helps
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mark lawton; 17 October 2004, 21:30.
                          Hi few pics under member rigs, check out "surfing round europe" under general. Wave if you see us thanks mark

Comment

Nice one. Thanks. I'll have another look tomorrow. Have had the glovebox out but am struggling with the blower duct that seems to run right underneath where you would need to bolt it. Am also struggling with where to plug it in.

Comment

Ill take mine out thursday- day off, will probably fit new UK stereo so dash will be out., ill post the loom plugin pic, plus any other info.
                              Aswell may fit new front fog lights that switch from the original dash switch aswell. (will come on with the rear one, but front will go off on high beam)
                              Hi few pics under member rigs, check out "surfing round europe" under general. Wave if you see us thanks mark

Comment

Working...
                              X