Field Monitor Install 3rd Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Monitor Install 3rd Gen

I have just completed an install of a Field Monitor in a non-sunroof surf. Instructions can be found here...
    http://www.yotatech.com/f2/field-mon...w-pics-199261/
    And here...
    http://www.yotatech.com/f2/hilux-sur...up-pics-94277/

In a nutshell this is what you need to know:
    -Blue/Yel to constant 12 Volt
    -Whi/Red to Switch 12v (ignition)
    -Grn/Org to Speed sensor
    -Blue to outside air temp sensor
    -Yel/Blk to outside air temp sensor
    -Whi/Blk to ground
    -Green to dash clock (illumination)
    -White to sunroof switch light dimmer (unused)
    -Blu/White to sunroof switch light dimmer (unused)

The existing map lights can be your constant 12v supply.
    All other wires plug into the unused connector behind the instrument panel (Speedo).
    Note, although the wires say to dash clock etc. they can all be wired to the connector block mentioned below.
    You will need a temperature sensor from the donor vehicle, plus if possible the other end of the connector block located behind the dash and the loom to this point, although it may be easier to solder 5 new wires to the Field Monitor connectors like I did and run these down the pillar then just scotchlok them on to the corresponding wires.

My Surf already had the loom and connector for the outside temperature sender, which is attached just behind the left side front bumper utilising a hole in the inner wing. (I will refer to left and right as I'm in the UK, so left side would be our passenger side (right hand drive).
    On the factory fit, all the wires for the sunroof and field monitor follow the right hand A pillar.
    No need to pull off the centre dash to get to the clock or to feed wires through the bulkhead to a temp sensor suggested as in the links above.
    The wire colours all seemed to match the Field Monitor colours although I connected the Field monitors ignition live to the grey wire on the connector behind the dash as this was the first switched 12v I found!
    The temp sensor wires are Yellow with black trace and blue with silver dots, same as the Field Monitor.
    Don't tap into the ABS, use the green wire with violet trace on that connector block - same as the Field Monitor colouring.
    Finally be careful cutting the headlining, don't overdo it or you will have gaps.
    The metal support bracket sits above the headlining at the rear edge.
    Total of five wires needed to behind the dash, that's it. This saves time as only one pillar cover needs removing and you don't have to feed wires to the front or to the clock illumination or to the ABS sensor. It's all there waiting for you!

For a sunroof model, the instructions are as follows:
    Field Monitor:
    1. Blue/Yellow wire coming off the female end of the White Plug, taps into the Gray wire coming off the Blue Plug.
    2. White/Black wire coming off the female end of the White Plug (this wire also could also be Gray), taps into the Black/Red wire coming off the Blue Plug.
    3. White/Red wire coming off the female end of the White Plug, taps into the Red wire coming off the Blue Plug.
    Clock:
    4. Green wire coming off the female end of the White Plug, taps into the Green # 3 wire on the back of the clock in the dash.
    Temp Sensor:
    5. Blue wire coming off the female end of the White Plug, connects to your Air Temp Sensor. (This Sensor needs to be installed behind the front bumper. It contains 2 wires. See next step for second wire connection.)
    6. Yellow/Black wire coming off the female end of the White Plug connects to your Air Temp Sensor.
    Speed Sensor:
    7. Green/Orange wire coming off the female end of the White Plug, taps into the Grey/Blue wire located at the ABS Unit. (It will be the Grey wire with a Blue stripe on it at the ABS unit. You could also say it is the Blue wire with a Grey stripe on it.)
    Sunroof Controls:
    9. Blk/Red wire coming off the Blue Plug, taps into the Grey ground wire at the Sunroof Light Switch on the Field Unit.
    10. Gray wire coming off the Blue Plug, taps into the White/Black wire on the Sunroof Light Switch.

Note the sunroof instructions assume you don't have the loom connector behind the dash.

You will need an impact driver to get the grab handles off!

Good luck
    Last edited by ajstars; 28 February 2015, 23:43. Reason: update
Working...
X