Double Din Headunit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Din Headunit

Can anyone recommend a good (cheap as possible) double din headunit that looks/fits good in a surf?

I currently have this one (came with it when it was imported)

I'm guessing once I've removed the dash pieces I'll just need to take the brackets off the old Kenwood, put the brackets on the new double din and screw it in place? Also will I need to change the connection at the back or will it already be a standard ISO connection?

Thanks in advance

I could, but, why does it have to be double din ? Single din and a halfords cubby hole above or below will be as good, maybe better.

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audi...-car-cd-player

I have the one in the link in my Colorado. Its got blue teeth, which works great for phone calls.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the reply . That one looks great. I was thinking about a single din but the hole that it would leave put me off. Didn't realise I could buy a part to fill the hole. Will go take a look for one now.

Comment

Picked up a stereo earlier. Just a cheapo JVC single din one so now I need to find a part to fill above the headunit. Will any kind of single din pocket do? I've not had the dash out yet so unsure if I'd need to screw the pocket in like I will have to with the stereo.

Comment

Go to your nearest Halfrauds and get the universal Autoparts cubby hole thing. Its that long since I did mine but Im pretty sure I had to screw it to the radio frame. Best way is a couple of wee screws/ bolts with nuts. with screw head on inside of cubby hole and fixing nut on frame side. Youll obviously need to punch/drill a couple of wee holes in the pocket thingy for this. If you just put screws in from the outside you run the risk of the point sticking through. Youll see what I mean when you do it.

This is what you need, but if you cant wait for postage, Halfords or any auto parts place.
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...ocket&_sacat=0
          Last edited by Bogus; 9 December 2014, 22:50.
          Сви можемо

Comment

Brilliant . I'll order one of those now. I wont be fitting it until next week so waiting isn't a problem. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

All fitted and sorted . Was easy enough getting the dash panels off and fitting the stereo. The main problem I had was once I had fitted the stereo and put it all back together I noticed the rear speakers were not working. So after taking it all apart again I managed to sort it thanks to a thread I found on here. Turns out the rear speakers are amped and I needed to swap a couple of wires over.

Comment

Hi and welcome on board.
                Congratulations on fitting the new stereo and finding the search button so soon!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Hi and welcome on board.
                  Congratulations on fitting the new stereo and finding the search button so soon!
                  Haha yes I made sure to search before posting a new thread . I'm always on different forums for the Volkswagen I own so I know how annoying it gets seeing the same posts all the time

Comment

Originally posted by DanMaytee View Post
                    I know how annoying it gets seeing the same posts all the time
                    Only to your regular grumpy types.
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Haha I must be one of those grumps

My cubby hole bit arrived all the way from China today. Was surprised how quick the delivery was (ordered on the 15th Dec. Estimated delivery for January 1st-12th!). Fills the slot nicely and even has the screw holes on the side so no modifications needed . Instead of a hole I decided I wanted a little draw and this is the only one I could find. Not sure why it has "Free Box wrote on it though...

Comment

Bit of a thread revival I know, but I bought a cheapo double din satnav stereo from ebay (£107) at the time, and it fits perfectly.

Lines up using the original bracket, and the wiring colours also match the original Toyota loom (for the most part). Has the necessary outputs for the rear speaker amps as well. Bluetooth, SatNav (GPS) and reversing camera. I am still debating with myself where I will fit the reversing camera.......

(the link below does not have the software - think it is a bit extra, but I already had the software)

Looks good and fits in the original hole.... it didn't look like the hole in the dash lower trim was quite big enough, but it will squeeze over the bezel of the stereo with a little gentle persuasion.

Very pleased, although I now have no cubby!

Here is the sellers link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2617439673...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                        After sales service is a bit rubbish if you need help fitting it (which I did as there is no wiring diagram in the manual - until I realised it is printed on top of the unit - Doh!), but the product is good.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by triumphstag View Post
                          Bit of a thread revival I know, but I bought a cheapo double din satnav stereo from ebay (£107) at the time, and it fits perfectly.

Lines up using the original bracket, and the wiring colours also match the original Toyota loom (for the most part). Has the necessary outputs for the rear speaker amps as well. Bluetooth, SatNav (GPS) and reversing camera. I am still debating with myself where I will fit the reversing camera.......

(the link below does not have the software - think it is a bit extra, but I already had the software)

Looks good and fits in the original hole.... it didn't look like the hole in the dash lower trim was quite big enough, but it will squeeze over the bezel of the stereo with a little gentle persuasion.

Very pleased, although I now have no cubby!

Here is the sellers link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2617439673...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                          After sales service is a bit rubbish if you need help fitting it (which I did as there is no wiring diagram in the manual - until I realised it is printed on top of the unit - Doh!), but the product is good.
                          Thank you . I've actually been thinking of getting a double din seem as my single din is slowly packing up so I may actually have to grab that one .

Comment

Yeah, that was my thinking as well, my single din was busy refusing to either play or give back any CD it was offered, and the front panel was a bit iffy so would go off over bumps. £50-£70 for a single din or a bit more for this....... So decided to go for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X