Door wiring harness repair, step-by-step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door wiring harness repair, step-by-step

A search of the forum for any strange weirdness you are experiencing with one or more door armrest controls may well lead you to suspect that you have broken wires in a door wiring harness within the flexible boot between the chassis and the door. All good enough 'till the stereo fuse starts to blow, then it requires immediate repair.

To see if you're in the right place, pull the boot back a bit and peek inside. If you see something like this then yes, you are:

Trying to properly fix it in place will be much more aggravating than pulling it apart, need to check all the wires and not harm it more. So.

This covers the driver's door, most used and thus most likely to fail. 1994 Gen II.

First peel the doorcard and some plastic.

Pop this wire holder off while you're there, squeeze the tabs remembering old plastic is old. Disconnect the power mirror connector.

Lower panel and speaker, out:

If you have fat fingers get the black box out of the way too. Edit: Get it outta there, just unscrew and tuck back, no need to unplug. Found it goes back together much easier with it out of the way.

Unplug these three connectors.

All different shapes no worries, they'll go right back when you're done.

Carefully disentangle the thing, you're gonna want to pull it out without catching on other stuff.

Almost done already, that's the bothersome bit. Have a beer, and get ready for a pull.

Work it gently back through the chassis and door.

Connectors are staggered to prevent 'em all piling through at once, just manage that.

Good job.

Now, you could pull it all to bits like this for a field repair, in a hurry, but we're gonna take it to the bench and take our time.

Disconnect the rest of the stuff inside the door. Lock solenoid is the most heavy-duty, hard to push the connector release tab at the angle it's mounted.

Gently pry the tab on the mount back and slide the whole connector free. Flip it around for easy access to the release, small screwdriver works great.

Find all rest of the mounting tabs for the harness, squeeze and drop. Make sure you got em all. Then thread the part that runs up the inside of the door into the armrest back into the door, didn't get a good piccy of that part sorry.

Gonna come out here, through the large rear hole:

Ready for repair.
    Last edited by MadScott; 8 June 2014, 09:00. Reason: Added clarity

Now that it's on the bench we can see. Cut the tape and start to peel.

There's your problem.

In this case: mirror adjust circuit.

Check the others, here they all look good enough for now.

Once the Offenders are stripped, you can see signs of heat, from it grinding down to the last strand:

Clean that black stuff off gently, light scraping. Do a thorough job lest the solder not stick.

Unwind more tape for some space to slide some shrinkwrap on, out of the way of soldering heat.

Twist and shout, time to crack another beer while you wait for the soldering iron to heat up.

One pretty twist and one ugly, they'll both feel the same in the dark. Better to go with it than risk breaking strands by fussing.

Solder, gooogle if you don't know how.

OK.

Once it cools slide the shrink tubing into place...

Hitit with some fire. Result:

Wrap it up, resisting the urge to do it all, the wires need to flex some in that boot or it'll all break again sooner.

Get the boot into place and wrap again.

Done. Reinstall and enjoy your fully functioning electrics.
    Last edited by MadScott; 8 June 2014, 09:30.

Comment

I need to get round to doing this with my rear drivers door - the electric window has stopped working

Only thought i had was that the solder will make that section less flexible right at the point where it needs to be. Would it better to chop a section of the wire out, and solder in a new section - keeping the soldered joints out of the way?

Thanks for the tutorial and the reminder i need to get mine sorted

Comment

Well written and much appreciated Nice to see stuff that might not even be done.

But as I'm going to wire speakers into the doors...it's great for me

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
          Well written and much appreciated Nice to see stuff that might not even be done.

But as I'm going to wire speakers into the doors...it's great for me
          +1

I really must fix my passengers door, thanks for the write up.

Comment

Thanks for the good words guys, no problem.

Trunks, I considered that, and if there had been more breaks I might have done... As it is, given the age and state of it all I have a feeling something else in there will probably give before that repair fails. Will monitor and report.

The other thing is, if you start doing all that, where do you stop? Most likely in doing 'em all, really... project to think on, for another day. One idea: to find another harness and slice and dice a non-flexing chunk out, all the correct colors and everything, then go gangbusters and replace that whole section.

21 wires in total in there, at least on mine; would be a project for a long rainy weekend for sure...

Comment

If you have problems with the elec windows, do a switch strip and clean first.
              They come apart pretty easily.
              We have had window problems on both our Gen 3s which have been solved in 10 mins by cleaning the contacts inside the window switches.

Great pictorial instructions to follow if you do need to take out the door harness though.

Mark
              Last edited by markp2; 11 June 2014, 16:07. Reason: Adding info

Comment

Just to bump an old thread.....

Thanks for this..... been trying to fit an alarm and managed to get it all in but when i connected it to the central locking "lock" wire, all sorts of strange things happened.... only then did i realise that the button on the armrest works all the doors but the drivers...... followed this guide, hey presto..... two broken wires..... waiting for the soldering iron to heat up now..... :-)

Comment

Working...
                X