Surf wont start - ECU diagnostics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf wont start - ECU diagnostics

Hi, went to my KZN130 surf earlier today after not driving it for a couple of weeks only to find it wont start.
    When the imobiliser is turned off the engine cranks if anything faster than normal but does not start. I Have noticed that the glow plug & check engine light do not come on anymore.
    Tried the diagnostic port in the engine bay to read fault codes but get no flashes at all from engine light.
    Tried checking the signal voltage going the glow plug relay, when the ignition is turned on there is only around 3v going the the coil of the relay.
    From reading other posts it is looking like ECU failure but want to be sure before sending it for repair.
    I have been trying to check the ECU is being powered and have found the following so far; With the 3 connectors removed from the ECU I find that I have 12v measuring between terminal A-1 (BATT) and terminal C-14 (Earth) as expected, but I do not have any voltage with the ignition on when measuring from terminal A-2, A-12 or A-13 to C-14.
    I believe I should have 12v with the ignition on at A-2, A-12 & A-13 to C-14 is this correct?
    Any thoughts, help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    You can live in a car....but you can't drive a house!!

Have you checked the fuses?

There's an ECU/IGN fuse in the fusebox by the throttle pedal.

Comment

Hi, yes I have checked the fuses in the box by the throttle and all fuses are ok.

Comment

Is the 15a ECD fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet OK?

Comment

I will check the ECD fuse in the morning and confirm its condition

Comment

Hi, I've checked the 15A ECD fuse under then bonnet and the fuse is fine. Is there anything else I need to check?

Comment

Does anyone have any further advice regarding the non starting & lack of glow plug and check engine light.
              All fuses have been checked and are ok.....would the next sensible move be to remove the ECU and send it to the ECU Doctor?
              Thanks

Comment

Take the immobiliser out of the equation first, it could be faulty.
                Does it have an internal (back-up) battery?

Comment

I don't know if the immobiliser has a back up battery. I had assumed the immobiliser was ok because, if I do not disarm it the engine will not turn over, place the fob against it then the engine will turn over but not start.
                  I did not fit the immobiliser, it was on the surf when I bought it several years ago, sounds like I need to start tracing wires around under the dashboard.
                  In the meantime I need to get the surf running as soon as possible so I am thinking I should send the ECU away for repair whilst I spend time looking at the immobiliser.
                  Do you think the likely causes are limited to the immobiliser or the Ecu?

Comment

Immobilisers generally disable the starter and/or the fuel circuits.
                    The fact that you aren't getting a check light is very strange, a faulty ECU would almost always allow the check light function.

I would remove the immobiliser first before sending the ECU off if you need the truck on the road sooner rather than later.

You mentioned earlier that the engine spins over faster?
                    Like there's no compression?

Comment

The engine cranks only slighter faster than normal I assume this could be due to no fuel being injected into the engine combined with no electrical draw from the glow plugs.
                      What I find really strange is the voltage trying to energise the glow relay....with the ignition off as expected there is no voltage, when the ignition is turned on only around 3v is measured trying to energise the relay coil. I had assumed that if the immobiliser was at fault I would get no voltage to the glow relay etc.
                      Would the voltage energising the glow relay be coming directly from the Ecu?

Comment

Just got me ECU back from the ECU doctor with several faults identified and corrected. Bolted it back into the Surf and it started straight away.
                        Thanks for all help and comments regarding this issue.

Comment

My 1993 KZN130 did exactly the same, no glow plug light on dash and no fuel at the injectors, all other electrical items tested ok, so I sent the ECU to The ECU Doctor in Plymouth, and they confirmed the glow plug and injector voltage regulators were faulty, which they repaired and returned for £230. I

Comment

Hi Ringo ,I know it was a long time ago, but did you resolve the problem, I'm experiencing similar symptoms, I have had the ECU. repaired by the ECU. Doctor, and refitted it on the vehicle, but it still wont start, a y help would be very much appreciated
                            TIA.
                            Robert.

Comment

Working...
                            X