Gen3 sunroof motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen3 sunroof motor

Hi, can anybody out there run me through the procedure to replace the sunroof motor on a 1996 Gen3 3.4v6 Surf. I have replaced the tilt/slide switches & when i try & operate the roof the motor just makes a "clunking" sound-hope someone can help.

Are you sure it's not the actual sunroof runners that aren't seized?

Comment

Gen3 sunnroof

Hi, not thought of that but will still need to get the motor out to check if its motor or runners.

Comment

You need to take the front interior light / display out first.
        Then there's a few bolts holding the motor in place. Bit of jiggling should get it out, don't move the sunroof with the motor out though as it might mess up the positioning or limit switches.
        Mine came out easily but I found the roof runners totally seized up!
        If that's happened then you need to take out the entire headlining and roof pillar covers, seatbelts etc.
        My air con works well though so I'm ok....

Comment

Thanks for that, think I will leave it for now!!

Comment

Sunroof repair

I agree this is likely the cables seized in their copper tubes. It can however be repaired without removing the entire headlining it's just an awkward job and took me a whole day.
            Remove the front grab handles (pillar and roof). You may need a large impact driver to get the pillar handles to release. Remove the sun visors and brackets, ease the plastic pillar trim out at the top and remove the front light and mirror pod and disconnect. Ease out the top of the door pillar trim.
            Remove the sunroof to roof lining trim by pulling it off carefully and ease out - don't lever the black plastic sunroof trim at either side of the sunroof.
            Now pull the front headlining down a little which gives access to the 10mm bolts holding the motor in place. Undo these and remove the motor which will be covered in white grease!
            There are a number (4 I think) bolts holding the front of the sunroof to the roof, undo these. Undo the bolts securing the glass to the runners and remove the glass from above. You will probably be able to see which cable is seized by tell take rust and lack of movement when encouraged to move manually.
            In theory you should now be able to release the front section of the sunroof containing the cables by pulling forward on it - make sure though that all the copper pipe clamps and clips have been undone and that the tilt/slide mechanism on top of the sunroof is undone (requires a bit of persuasion and a few screws). Be careful not to break the plastic tilt mechanism pin although it can easily be repaired if necessary by using a more robust screw! If the front section pulls out happy days but if not then unscrew the single bolt holding the centre of the copper tubes to the motor housing and unscrew the seized copper tube from below the front corner of the sunroof. Now you can remove the tube by sliding it forwards and easing the cable out with it. If it is totally seized you will need to make sure the sunroof runner is stripped back as far as it will go and pull or tap the cable forward until it can't go any further. Carefully cut out a section of the thin black papery looking plastic stopping the cable from coming out and then ease it through the hole and out.
            Make sure you have covered your seats as this will likely expose more white grease.
            With the seized cable and tube out, if it can't be encouraged to move, simply and carefully cut along the length of the tube, ease it open and remove the cable. Fabricate a new tube (or use the excess housing tube from the other side and solder on the mounting bracket) and feed it all back together. The excess cable tube can be replaced with plastic tubing if you have no copper as it's only function is to guide the loose cable around the sunroof out of the way.
            Put it all back together, glue the cut out section back in if you wish (it will be covered by the trim later on anyway) and make sure your motor is in the park position prior to fitting it back in. (One long movement to open, two movements to close, one movement for tilt up and down).
            Replace the glass and check operation. If all is well then replace the trim.
            Do make sure that the new cable tube and rubber is greased up a little and that the drain tubes are not blocked at the front corners of the sunroof.
            Under no circumstances heat the tube to release the cable - it has a nylon sheath which will melt!
            There is a post on here somewhere with a diagram for the sunroof.

Comment

Working...
            X