Fuel sender wiring diagram needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel sender wiring diagram needed

I pulled my tank and with effort to avoid breaking anything, my fuel sender was so corroded it broke to pieces. I can still plug in the two prongs the are side by side but the other is still in the body side of the connector

There is a yellow/red, brown/???, and yellow and blue (broken piece). This looks like just a ground from the way it's sitting. Anyone know if it is? If that's the case I'll just snip it before the connector and ground it to the frame. Then rig up something to keep the connector from coming off the sender.

EDIT: Just tested my connectors. The broken one seems to be my 5v reference. I thought maybe I could put a 4Runner sender in but I see the connector is different. I have a parts 4runner but it's in a snowbank and getting the connector off it would be pretty much impossible.

Here's what my sender looks like. I thought about drilling and tapping into the metal on the right as that's where it seems to get the power though but that is probably a bad idea. I'm in Canada so surf parts are nearly impossible to find. If I do somehow get the connector off my parts truck does anyone know if I can wire up a 4Runner sender using that connector and have it read properly?
    Last edited by young-gunn; 25 December 2013, 09:05.

Assuming the broken bit is the square to the right of the connector you could probably solder it after a good clean.

Comment

The broken prong goes in on the left of the connector but it looks like there was a metal band it was in contact with that was supposed to connect to the corroded piece on the right.

Still wondering if I can use a 4Runner sender? It will bolt in but will it read if I replace the connector?

Comment

Yes, the 4Runner sender will be exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Yes, the 4Runner sender will be exactly the same.
          Does anyone have a picture of the connector on one? All the ones I've seen had a different connector. Like I said I could always chop a hole in my parts truck to grab the wiring from above the tank through the floor. I just would rather be able to plug it right in if possible.

Comment

The terminal thats broken off on your sender unit is a ground connection.
            It comes from the right hand side of the unit in your photo, goes up and over the top of the other two terminals and ends up on the left hand side in a vertical position i.e. like this....l =

I have a spare one here that I could send to you for the cost of the postage?
            It's from a Hilux Surf 2.4 (LN130) diesel which has the same tank sender/wiring as the 3.0 (KZN130)

I'll get a photo of it in the morning, it's bedtime here now!

Comment

I am going to make up a bit of wire with a connector on the end and solder it to the broken piece. That way I can plug it into the original connector.

If that's supposed to be a gound, which I thought as well, why do I have 5v coming off of the connector? I thought about just grounding the connector and the wire off the body harness but I don't want to blow any fuses.

I called around and I can't seem to get a 4runner sending unit new.
              Last edited by young-gunn; 27 December 2013, 23:09.

Comment

Working...
              X