Power to rear wiper & demister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power to rear wiper & demister

I've searched but only seem to find posts about the rear window motor not working.

My rear window is fixed & rear hatch folds upwards. The rear wiper/washer doesn't work any more nor does the screen heater. I'm just wondering if there is some additional fuse for this supply? All the fuses under the bonnet & by the accelerator pedal are intact.

I notice the push button on the dash for the rear screen heater doesn't illuminate nor stay down for the timer to operate. Nor does it light up if I hold it down doesn't seem to latch.

I suppose if the is no additional fuse the most likely place is failure in the cable or connectors nearest the hinge.

Weather rather foul at present, just want to have an action plan before I get soaked too much!

Many thanks

The rear wiper and demister only work when the vehicle thinks the tailgate is shut and window is up, I wonder if one of you switches in the tailgate latches or on the rear regulator mechanism isn't functioning properly?
    Does your "Back Door" warning light on the dash work?
    Non consternationes.

Comment

Thanks ah that's a thought. I think the door warning light on the dash does actually go out, but its always been a bit stubborn. So I often have to go out & give it an extra hard slam to get the light to go off. I'll have a poke around the door switch wherever that is!

Comment

iirc there is 1 switch in each of the catches on either side of the tailgate and there is 1 on the window regulator to sense if the window is fully up.

When I first got my truck I spent ages sorting the rear window but the time was well spent as it didn't give any problems after.
        Non consternationes.

Comment

My rear door has a fixed window. When it is shut the dash warning light does go out. I see that the switching mechanism is linked to the lower catch, I had always assumed it was the rubber covered button switch that the spare wheel support presses into. When I press the button switch in & out the dash light light flickers slightly.

Whilst it was dry today I took the cover off. I was hoping to see where I could pick up some voltage to see where it disappeared but of course that was invalid I assume with the lower catch open.

I unplugged the wiper motor feed & established at least the motor is not open circuit. Then it started to get dark!

None of the connectors appear to be water logged or corroded.

I took a rear shot of the door looking upwards. Any pointers of which leads to look for voltages would be a great help. But I think I need to clear out the back so I can lie on the floor with the hatch closed to simulate the real situation with the lower catch closed.

Many thanks.

Comment

Hi, sorry didn't realise is yours a 3rd gen, mine was a second.
            I guess the same would still apply as the wiper and demist shouldn't work if the window is down.
            Probably a good idea to get in there with a meter with the door shut.

I'm not sure about the 3rd gen (perhaps someone else knows?) but the second gen had a ecu type relay box for the rear door, this may be worth looking into.

Hope you get sorted soon as I know how annoying stuff like this is.

Dazza
            Non consternationes.

Comment

Other than my comments in red below, have you checked the wires going through the door frame for damage ?
              Originally posted by fv1620 View Post
              My rear door has a fixed window. If it is fixed, why does the photo show the lowering mechanism ? I would check this out further as you may have a faulty circuit somewhere if the cab switch has been removed.

I had always assumed it was the rubber covered button switch that the spare wheel support presses into. When I press the button switch in & out the dash light light flickers slightly.That is for the warning light to let you know the spare wheel is latched correctly

I took a rear shot of the door looking upwards. Any pointers of which leads to look for voltages would be a great help. But I think I need to clear out the back so I can lie on the floor with the hatch closed to simulate the real situation with the lower catch closed. You can flick the catch closed with a screw driver with the back door open

Many thanks.

Comment

Yes lowering mechanism it must have. Very obvious looking at the picture now. I never knew it had that facility! Thanks.

Ah yes I have found the bottom latch does indeed flick over with a screwdriver. So something for Boxing Day if I can get out of the house.

Comment

Well in sunlight its all a bit easier to see. Now there seems to be a small gap at the top of the rear window.This is obvious now that the rubber strip has been removed with the main plastic panel.

Operating the close button now allows the window to close properly. So now that the demister button latches on & lights up & the rear wiper works.

All seems annoyingly obvious now & something to keep an eye. Although I would prefer it that way rather than a problem of great complexity!

Thanks for help.

Comment

glad you got it sorted but working on the truck over Christmas, bet you're in the good books with the wife
                    Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by dazandcaz View Post
                      bet you're in the good books with the wife
                      Not really, she thinks its my fault anyway & just finds other things for me to do

Comment

Working...
                      X