• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition problem

ok I've read most of the threads on this subject and none are similar
    its a 3rd gen kzn 185 ssrg
    batteries are fine read 12.8v
    have extra tightened the terminals but were pretty tight anyway. when running read 13.6v
    but when I come to start the ignition lights come on fine but just a resounding clunk of nothingness
    try it a couple of times then it bursts into life
    any ideas?
    i know I'm in New Zealand but I am from Manchester and love my Surf but the Mrs says fix it or sell it please help
    Andy
    cam_64uk@hotmail.com
    Love my surf and here there is no 4X4 tax

Check voltage when trying to start otherwise it means nothing. If voltage drop to below 10V then batteries are dead or dying.

Nev.

Comment

Starter motor contacts ?

Comment

ok so this morning

this morning batteries still read 12.4
        with lights on 12.5
        when starting engine dropped to 10.2 (digital meter so not easy to read lol)

started on third attempt

first 2 goes no drop in battery voltage just a clunk as ignition key turned.
        and then as normal on third attempt burst into life

when running read 13.5-6
        very open to suggestions
        has twin batteries which are about 5years old but no corrosion and are sealed

Comment

Sounds like the batteries. Take the truck to an Auto Electrician and have them tested.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yeah, get batteries properly charged then load tested. If they are then ok check the alternator. 13.5 volts is a bit low. Should be up aroung 14.2.

Nev.

Comment

just cleaned re-attached, tightened and greased all the terminals put it on charge will let you know how it works. on a side note did my ride on lawnmower to lol

Comment

it's the starter motor that's on its way out. had the batteries and alternator checked and all work fine. and I am buggered if i can figure out how to get at and remove the starter on a KZN185 look like you need to be a gynecologist to get at it. so off to my local expensive garage a bugger as the parts (contacts) are only 20 dollars

Comment

Go in through the wheel arch and use a stubby spanner on the top nut. Lift out from the top (easier with 2 people)

Comment

Working...
                  X