Brake warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake warning light

Why would the brake warning light stay on? The hand brake is off and there is fluid in the master cylinder.
    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Float in the reservoir sticking?

Vacuum leak?

Comment

Vacume leak? on what? I have no history with this motor I bought it dead of the bay with a few issues. No brakes or side lights. Brake pipe knackered near rear spring cup (common I believe) fixed, thought the light might be on due to having no juice in one side of the resevoir, but now it has plenty!

Comment

There's a low vacuum sensor for the A.D.D system in the small tank thats linked to the brake servo.

Comment

ok I think I know where to look (under the servo slightly to the left) if looking from the front. I pulled the pipe from the servo there seems to be plenty of suck.

Comment

Then it's most likely the float thats sticking, common fault.
            A tap on the side of the reservoir cures it.

Comment

That sounds likely to me if its been dry for a while, cheers I will give it a try.

Comment

Vacuum test. Pump brake pedal several times to deplete vacuum. With foot still on pedal start engine. Brake pedal should drop slightly when vacuum returns.

To test if float switch, disconnect it. If light stays off then faulty switch. If not then check pedal switch.

Nev.

Comment

I gave the resevoir a bit of a clonk with a screwdriver and tah dah the light has gone out cheers Vince. Took it for an MOT and would have failed on the wiper blades, Luckily enough I had a new pair with me that I had neglected to fit. Just advisaries on both bottom ball joints, not bad considering it hasn't been tested for 4 years, is 19 years old and hasn't had an easy life on the farm. Just goes to show that Mr Toyota really can build a quality motor.

Comment

Working...
                  X