Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Headlight Problem

Hi guys,

I've got an 89 model Hilux headlight problem which I'm hoping I can solve with the ocean of knowledge available here.

Here it is.

I've had an intermittent problem with my headlights for about 6 months. Basically I'd be driving along at night.... any speed, any temperature, high or low beams and then suddenly the lights would go out. After a few minutes of sitting they'd switch on again and might never switch off for another 3 weeks. Fun on the freeway... and kinda fun last night when I had just.... just... made it up to the top of a wet, bumpy, slippery climb and the lights went out completely.

I'd never been able to trace the fault earlier because it was intermittent..... Flicking the switch/stalk didn't seem to have any effect and by the time I lifted the bonnet to mess with the relays or anything else they'd come back on again.

So now they're off permanently. All of the other lights will switch on except for the headlights. The high beam indicator is permantely on (whether the high or low beams are on), and if I pull the light stalk back the high beams will come on (providing that the lights are switched on). The high beams will not come on if I pull the stalk back while the headlights are switched off.

It's doing my head on because I can hear the relays switching and have swapped them around to make sure they're working. There is +ve at the globes but they just won't switch.

At least I can still drive the car... during the day that is.

Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had the same/similar problem.

Cheers,

John

Hi John, at first reading ya post it sounds like ya might have a dodgy trafficcator arm or or atleast bad connection/s within the unit ...
    Are ya turn signals working Ok ?
    Good Luck

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Yeah that's what's got me stumped. Everything else is working perfectly. Which has led me away from the switch stalk.

But from what I've been reading there are a whole bunch of unpredictable outcomes that can come from the stalk being worn/corroded.

I've just ordered a brand new one because everything else has continuity and the relays are working the way they should.

Once I get it fitted I'll post the outcome here again so anyone else with a similar problem can at least work through it.

I'm considering rewiring my whole healight circuit. This whole negative switching concept doesn't work for me.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Working...
      X