Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator gauge reading

ok people here's one that baffles me
    wonder if the alternater is giving me signs of tiredness?
    the engine starts on first turn but the meter on the dash goes down to about half way. it then remains there with the engine ticking over then gradually creeps up to about 3/4 then stays there thats fine
    if i rev the engine the gauge goes up quicker than if left on tickover
    my first thought was a battery was duff or that the belts loose
    as i fitted a new battery about 18months ago and the 2nd battery was atleast 10 years old i replaced the 2nd battery and replaced both belts
    tensioned the belt correct but the gauge still creeps up slowly even with new battery and belts
    (it,s acting like an old fashioned dynamo) but only on first start.
    the rest of the time it shows 3/4 charge it,s not flickering when i put on the indicaters or lights or heater and the batteries remain charged
    anyone else had this?
    i know u know
    thanks

It's a twenty year old meter, don't trust it.

Test your charging system properly and have your batteries high rate discharge tested. You need to check both of them; replacing just one battery on a dual system is daft.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

for u techies

for more info
      the first battery i replaced about 18months ago
      standing at the front of the car with the bonnet up it was on the left side
      replced from a toyota dealer (yasuma i think but without the charge indicater black/green)
      the 2nd battery was on the right(from milners with charge indicater black/green) and that one still remains green
      hope this helps
      i know u know
      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        It's a twenty year old meter, don't trust it.

Test your charging system properly and have your batteries high rate discharge tested. You need to check both of them; replacing just one battery on a dual system is daft.
        ok no prob but in all fairness the 2nd battery gave no indication of failure
        still green on charge indicater
        so apart from me being "daft" after having both batteries tested at toyota
        they repaced 1
        maybe i have a "claim"

Comment

Originally posted by curb View Post
          ok no prob but in all fairness the 2nd battery gave no indication of failure
          still green on charge indicater
          so apart from me being "daft" after having both batteries tested at toyota
          they repaced 1
          maybe i have a "claim"
          Doesn't matter, I'd have replaced them both.

You still need to have the charging system and both batteries tested to see if there is an issue.

Claim for what?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Doesn't matter, I'd have replaced them both.

You still need to have the charging system and both batteries tested to see if there is an issue.

Claim for what?
            Albannach is quite correct,replacing one battery is false economy.When the second battery fails it will draw from the good one and the first you will know is when your new battery starts to fail.You now need to buy two new batteries.At this point you feel daft,and wish you'd bought two new batteries!

Regards

Mark

Comment

they dont have to be new at the same time, you may get lucky and just replace the dud one but check them both, an 18 month one and a new one will be pretty much the same, there never identical anyway

Comment

Working...
              X