2nd gen rear window mechanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gen rear window mechanism

I know this has probably been posted before, however I can't find exactly what i'm after. The teeth on my mechanism have been worn out over the years and the window has been sticking/ slipping over the past year or so. It was usually the motor at fault, I have taken apart and repaired it numerous times now. It has finally given up the ghost due to excessive play on the shaft.

So.. I have bought a new motor, however the teeth look pretty rough on the mechanism. I thought best to change that out at the same time to prevent the new motor getting stuffed as well. My question is, how easy/pain in the arse is it to get the mechanism off the glass and out of the tailgate without trashing something else whilst doing so.

and do I need to set up the new mechanism in a certain way, i.e spring tension etc before fitting the new one. Are there any pics/ photos anywhere on the forum?

I have stuck the new motor in for now and the window is going up and down ok, a bit rough and juddering due to the teeth being a bit ropey. should I just live with that and stick my new mech on fleebay or go for the full refit??
    ..Angel..

Hellooooo!!! anyone there???

Fellas there must be someone here with some words of wisdom?, I posted this a week ago. 55 people have read it........no replies, boo hoo!!

someone must have changed the mechanism before

..Angel..

Comment

I've not changed the mechanism but stripped it out a couple of times to clean and re-lube it.

so long as you take your time and unclip all the wiring and cables it no more than a couple of hours to get it out and put back in fully working.

Take your time getting it off the glass and back on again, probably best to have an extra pair of hand just in case anything slips at this point.

Comment

Before parting with my surf I replaced the mech with a roughtrax model. It was a pain of a job, but if you take your time and ensure the new one is set up the same as the old one you'll be fine.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

window glass

Thanks fellas, one last question, what is holding the glass and mechanism together. Is it glued in ?
          ..Angel..

Comment

No just a tight push fit in the the lower runner

Comment

Any help ....
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34758

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                Another forum thread to bookmark

Comment

Thanks

Thanks fellas thats what I needed to know. Diezel weazel, thanks for the link but thats not the problem.
                  I've been repairing the motor for ages now, every couple of months just when you really don't need it,....... the window to go tits up.......sod's law.
                  Then you'd spend the next 2 hours in the ####ing rain and darkness fixing it
                  So I've put a new motor in and now I need to change the mech as it looks pretty @!**"* also
                  ..Angel..

Comment

Working...
                  X