Help required with Nuts and Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required with Nuts and Bolts

As title says, tried to change glow plugs today. The 4 nuts/bolts that hold the turbo pipe with throttle links have a knurled top with the nuts below. 2 nuts undid but two unscrewed with the screw body attached. I was not sure which was correct. Can anyone give me a clue? The 2 which unscrewed with the body did not want to come out, but kept on turning, should something be holding the splined/knurled top whilst using a spanner on the nuts? Thank you.

The 3rd generation are probably the same as earlier models and have a plastic nut with a splined insert, which can break away from the plastic. Just break off the plastic bit and remove the insert with whatever you can. A small pair of pliers or whatever. Replace with 4mm flanged nuts.

Nev

Comment

The nuts are meant to come off but often the whole thing turns instead. Just remove the nuts that do come off, then unscrew the other 2 bit by bit and seperate them after the pipe is removed. When you put it back together pay attention to the torque settings as the nuts are not very tight.

Comment

Attached Files
        Last edited by wishbone; 16 March 2013, 00:04.

Comment

Bugger, I was thinking of the nuts on glow plugs. Now I'm with you. Do as stated above or use a 6mm (IIRC) socket on top of studs to stop the stud from turning as you loosen the nuts which is what the top is designed for. If you try to undo one at a time they will strip the thread in the manifold. Had to repair one done like that a while ago and had to helicoil three out of the four threads in the manifold. When refitting use the 6mm socket to install the studs through the venturi to the manifold, then install the other seals and nuts onto the studs to attach the crossover pipe.

Nev.

Comment

It's a torx head on that stud, not a standard hex bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              It's a torx head on that stud, not a standard hex bolt.
              Yes , but I used a normal socket. May have even been an imperial socket. Anyway, there's one that fits well enough to do the job.

Nev.

Comment

Much obliged to all who helped

The job was completed this morning, the 6mm socket fitted a treat and enabled me to swing the turbo pipe a few inches to the left. This made space to get at the 3rd and 4th glow plug. A fiddly job rather than difficult, and apart from slicing the back of my hand whilst pushing through against the heater pipes, the result is a much easier starting Surf.

Comment

Working...
                X