Calcium Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium Batteries

I have done a bit of research on batteries since I have been having starting issues.

I have read that calcium batteries need 14.8 volts to fully recharge and that older vehicles alternators just don't have the power. Mine is pushing out 13.7 on 1500rpm.

I have a 90AH with 750CCA.

This is worthless if the alternator cannot fully charge the battery on a long run.

Am I right or wrong?
    Should i just get an original toyota 70AH lead acid?

Yes and no.
    The batteries are not replacing lead as in a conventional battery, calcium is added to the mix to improve gassing and is generally used in sealed batteries.
    The first use of this style battery did have a few problems, but a lot less calcium is used now.
    Plus define the term older? I had a Datsun 120Y coupe whose alternator would be kicking out charge at at least 13.8v on tickover.
    If the older car bit was true then suppliers would have received a massive amount of units failing under warranty.
    As with most of these things a small issue has been blown out of proportion.

If your battery/batteries are in good condition then you will have no problems cranking your engine.

I would suggest your starting problems are elsewhere.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

the out put on your alternator seems a little low. my new one gives out 14.5v had to change the old one as i was having trouble starting,the old one was giving 13.2 -13.5 v and just wasnt enough to give the battries what hey needed. so, new alternator no more stating problems.
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thanks Charvell

Damn this car is just costing me parts since i have bought it.

But i love my surf!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X