Alternator for a 3.0td 1996 KZN185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator for a 3.0td 1996 KZN185

I have recently fitted a new battery to my surf, yesterday couldn't start the vehicle, the AA informed me that it was an electrical problem and the battery was loosing its charge. I'm no expert but it sounds like to me I need to replace the alternator. Can anyone help?

I would suggest if its losing its charge then it was being charged in the first place?
    Maybe a duf battery? I would take it somewhere decent and get the battery and alternator checked or if you have a multi meter do it yourself.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Seconded.

Fire up the truck, stick idle-up on, check volts on battery with a multimeter. It it's above 14-ish volts up to around 15 volts there's nowt wrong with your alternator.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Alternator for a 3.0td KNZ185

Hi Guys,
        With reference to my recent thread regarding the above, I was given duff info, I was informed that the auxillary battery ( LH side ) was not needed and was disconnected. After purchasing a new battery I was still experiencing starting problems. The auxillary battery has know been re-connected and the truck starting problems have disappeared which is a mystery to me because the spare battery was flat. Thanks for your help. Tim.

Comment

On a standard truck, there is no such thing as an auxiliary battery. They are connected in parallel, and either one will be sufficient to start the truck (in summer at least, you might struggle in cold weather).

If you now have one new one and one old one of unknown condition, be careful that the old one doesn't drag the new one down.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Disconnect them both and charge using a stand alone battery charger. Take them somewhere and have them both drop tested and see what that reveals.

As mentioned, a bad battery will kill a good 'un prematurely.

Comment

Working...
            X