94 Hilux Surf Headlamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Hilux Surf Headlamps

Has anyone fitted HID headlamp boosters. My Surf has useless ones - would appreciate any information on whether they are any good and where to buy at best price.

Might want to have a read through this first...http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67780
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

It'll fail an MOT unless it has ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens its self, an operating cleaning device and an automatic headlamp levelling system.

Not worth the hassle.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

...and some of the cheap chinese ones on eBay will at the very least cause your radio to no longer work properly, and at worst set fire to your pride and joy. They're cheap for a reason.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

Not worth the hassle.
          I second this, I've spend lots of time this year removing HID kits for MOT's, Uprated normal bulbs are pretty good, otherwise you need your eyes tested.

Also search for headlight loom upgrade, or similar phrases, sometimes the cables to the headlights suffer from a lot of voltage drop, and you only end up with 9 or 10 volts at the bulbs, giving them 12v makes a noticable difference.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            It'll fail an MOT unless it has ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens its self, an operating cleaning device and an automatic headlamp levelling system.

Not worth the hassle.

Not according to my MOT man.

You can fit the kits and as long as they pass the beam alignment check, no problem.
            Whether you get pulled by a jobsworth traffic Cop though is another matter.

As for the 'rules' regarding self levelling systems and washers, they haven't been implemented yet.

I thought that HID lights require clear glass and prismatic reflectors to project the light correctly anyway, can't see them working properly with the patterned glass and smooth reflectors of the 2nd and early 3rd gen's headlights.

Comment

It's not legal to fit non-E / e marked units, and I haven't come across a *genuine* E / e marked far-eastern unit yet. I expect the MOT man wouldn't check for E / e marking though.

Comment

Vince, my MOT guy printed out the new info for me, HID kits in halogen light units is not road legal, but not an MOT failure.

Also LED lamps are not legal, that includes sidelights, interier only.

The MOT can fail it on not being white though, some are to blue, and nearly every HID truck I tried to MOT failed on the beam pattern anyway, so had to be changed.

I'd just get decent bulbs, like Osram Nightbreakers, and make sure the wiring is sound.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  HID kits in halogen light units is not road legal, but not an MOT failure.

Also LED lamps are not legal, that includes sidelights, interior only.

I know all this.
                  nearly every HID truck I tried to MOT failed on the beam pattern anyway, so had to be changed.
                  Thats what I thought.
                  How did the others with HIDs pass then?

I'd just get decent bulbs, like Osram Nightbreakers, and make sure the wiring is sound.
                  I've got Nightbreakers fitted.

I don't want HIDs by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by bushwhacker View Post

i know all this.
                    i know!! Was only saying you're right, sorry if it offends you to have someone agreeing with you!

how did the others with hids pass then?
                    no idea, its amazing what you can get passed when you're friends with the mot bloke though, mine gets distracted easly when chatting, i use this tactic lots of iffy stuff....

i've got nightbreakers fitted.

i don't want hids by the way.

me neither, my eyes work fine in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      Vince, my MOT guy printed out the new info for me, HID kits in halogen light units is not road legal, but not an MOT failure.

Also LED lamps are not legal, that includes sidelights, interier only.

The MOT can fail it on not being white though, some are to blue, and nearly every HID truck I tried to MOT failed on the beam pattern anyway, so had to be changed.

That does give me cause for concern .
                      Could you please elaborate on this?
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

LED lamps *are* legal Tony, but only if they are E11 or e11 marked. Most military stuff and a lot of commercial stuff I see through work these days uses LEDs for sidelights, rear, brake and direction indicators.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          LED lamps *are* legal Tony, but only if they are E11 or e11 marked. Most military stuff and a lot of commercial stuff I see through work these days uses LEDs for sidelights, rear, brake and direction indicators.
                          I ment if you retrofit them to old fittings..

From Osrams dealer advice sheet I got through post...

"As with Xenon HID conversions, it is also not possible to obtain approval on LED replacment bulbs either, The use of LED replacement bulbs in exterior lighting functions is therefore not permitted. LED replacement bulbs are not ECE approved, for exterior use and could fail the MOT test as a result. LED bulds are permissable for interior applications."

Remember this is Construction and Use regs, not MOT.

Comment

My advice is to go with Tony's advice in Post #5, and upgrade your headlight wiring harness. The improvement could amaze you (it did it for me). This could alleviate all the concerns about MOT and HID legalities etc, plus all the hassles that can go with them, and it is a good deal cheaper. Harness upgrades can be found on eBay at a good price if you spend some time going through them.

I bought a harness from Thailand on eBay, and it has served me well, with the added bonus of being easy to install. This is the one I bought:
                            http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H4-Haloge...#ht_2434wt_702

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

My vote would be to go for Osram Nightbreakers.
                              Apart from the actual hassle of changing the lamps the difference they made is quite frankly remarkable,I would say the beam pattern and the light output is on a par with my other drive a '60 plate Vito.
                              There is a country section we drive quite regularly at night and before we would have main beam and the spots on just to light the way and now with just the Nightbreakers on dipped the spread and the amount of light is more than enough.

I also upgraded the headlight wiring loom myself.
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X