Electrics Fail when ignition key is turned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrics Fail when ignition key is turned

Hi, I have a long suffering 3.0L 3rd Gen surf, P reg with 150K, its developed an intermittent fault which causes all the electrics to cut out.
    At the moment what happens is you put the key in the ignition and on ACC1, 2 all you get is the Seatbelt warning light. If you turn it to IGN I think that light goes out as well. If I open the drivers door with the Key in the Ignition I get the normal PING warning though if I press the brake or the Gear lever release it stops or if I press the “lock all doors” on the drivers door consol the PING sounds like there is a drain on the power.
    I have cured the fault a couple of times by disconnecting the battery, waiting about 10-15mins and the removing all the fuses from the drivers foot well fuse box, reconnecting the battery and one by one inserting the fuses back in the fuse box until I get the car to fire up.
    I thought the “DOME” circuit was causing the issue so removed the fuse for that but after 1000miles of happy motoring it’s cut out again.
    I've had a search through the web and can't find anything that sounds quite the same, maybe someone here has experienced something similar.

So far the triggers have been: I was driving and switched the headlights on. As I turned the light switch I heard what sounded like ALL the relays behind the dash opening and closing (it was like the sound of rattling your fingers on the keyboard for a second), the gauges all went to MAX readings for a second then the whole car went dead and I coasted off the road.
    While stationary I turned on the Ignition to ACC 1 and turned on the Radio, all died.
    With the dome fuse removed I got in the car, Turned on the ignition and found it was dead. I then turned it off turned it on, pressed the break and the gear leaver release button and it came back to life but then died again when I turned the key to IGN.

any clues?? I know its not the immobiliser as I cut that out. The car electircs are stock apart from Twin towbar electrics, only a single large battery and a sony radio. The Dash clock and light behind the hazard light dont work and the gear leaver has been tempremental at releasing the key.

Ta!

If it happened when you turned the headlight switch then maybe try replacing the indicator / wiper switch for a start. Pop the steering wheel off and it's about 6 screws to swap.

Comment

Sounds like the main earth strap is loose and/or not connected properly at the engine block or the body/chassis causing intermittant power failure.

Try connecting a heavy cable (e.g. one jump lead) from the negative terminal of the battery to the engine somewhere and see if that makes a difference or at least gets all the dash lights to come on as they should.

Comment

Engine earth, thats one I dont think I've checked properly yet, cheers for the pointer!

I think its got to be something common like that as the radio killed it the second time and pressing random buttons effects it when its gone wrong also.

I originally thought it could be the starter solenoid failing and shorting as its like all the power is sucked from the system but I've isolated that circuit and still get the issue. So thats narrowed it down from the whole car to the whole car - starter motor.....

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Sounds like the main earth strap is loose and/or not connected properly at the engine block or the body/chassis causing intermittant power failure.

Try connecting a heavy cable (e.g. one jump lead) from the negative terminal of the battery to the engine somewhere and see if that makes a difference or at least gets all the dash lights to come on as they should.

You were dead right man, the battery earth lead was failing at the first joint off the battery. My Battery earth clip failed a couple of years ago so there is a braided tractor earth cable connected on to the main engine earth by bolting the two terminals together against the body beside the battery. The surfaces were just corroded.
          Cheers!

Now I've just to patch the holes in my rear bumper and she's as good as!

Comment

Another one lives !! Well done

11+ Years of Surf's ..... n Faultles to a "T" is my Yota !!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Yay!

Someone actually listened and acted on my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Yay!

Someone actually listened and acted on my advice.
                I just listened to your advice about TV viewing, never again!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  I just listened to your advice about TV viewing, never again!

I know, I've deleted the thread now, they're obviously crap live!

Comment

Working...
                  X