Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanently-powered 12v cigarette lighter

Hi,

I'd like to add a cigarette lighter socket to my Hilux, and I'd like to make it permanently powered so that I can leave a solar panel attached to drip-charge my batteries. It'd also be vaguely useful to have a permanent power connection for charging some small devices, so that's why I'm looking at doing the cigarette lighter socket rather than e.g. hard-wiring into the 12V rails.

So, I thought about first converting the standard socket to permanently-powered by replacing the relay with a jumper wire so it's always-on, but that idea fell down when I realised how little fun it was locating which relay it was (I could only get a couple of relays in the driver's footwell out 'cos they're so tight!) and when I realised I'd also be powering the clock all the time -- not ideal.

Therefore, I'd like to cut a new socket into the centre console and permanently wire it using heavy-gauge wire (with an inline fuse-holder). Does anyone have any ideas about the best place to "leach" this connection from? I thought about running a pair of wires direct from the 2nd battery terminals and through the bulkhead, but that sounds tricky. Is there a better source for this? I'm thinking I'd spec the wiring for e.g. 20Amps of current (realistic max use of half that).

cheers

From battery through the bulkhead is very easy...wired all my extra electrics like this. 8 items via a new separate fuse box.
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

I was gutted to find the ciggy lighter wasn't live all the time when I got mine so was thinking of doing something similar.

So what you did was get a new fuse box (where from?) and connect to positive terminal on one battery and feed the wire from the other side of the fuse box through a suitable existing hole in the bulkhead straight to whatever it is connecting to, in this case a ciggy lighter and then to earth?

Where is the best place to get through the bulkhead Overland Tonka? Ideally I don't want wires dangling all over but still don't relish the idea of removing the dash etc.
      Leaky Surf

Comment

Thanks very much Overland Tonka. I think I'll have a crack at this over the weekend. I think I'll probably only run the one pair of wires with an inline fuse-holder (i.e. I won't bother with the entire fusebox) close to the battery.

I believe a previous owner has already bodged a couple of wires through the bulkhead near the steering column, so I'll have a root around there.

Comment

Just to say I did this over the weekend and it worked perfectly, thanks.

I took the positive from the right-hand battery with an in-line fuse, and the negative went to an earth point somewhere above the wheel arch. These two wires were routed through a small rubber grommet in the bulkhead, around the steering column (secured to the bulkhead with zip ties) and then to a cigarette lighter socket I mounted in the passenger side of the centre console.

I now have a solar panel keeping my batteries topped up.

Comment

Working...
          X