Battery Dioscharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Dioscharge

My battery is discharging, this morning I have to charge it manualy before starting it....
    Did any one know if it can be repair or is better to buy a new one?

Originally posted by basic_meo
    My battery is discharging, this morning I have to charge it manualy before starting it....
    Did any one know if it can be repair or is better to buy a new one?
    First you need to see if the Alternator is charging, have a look at the gauge on the dashboard, should be around 14 volts or greater when the engine is running. If this is charging OK then the next thing to do is check the battery acid levels and make sure they are OK. Top up if neccessary with distilled water.

You can sometimes recover a battery if it is not too old and not too badly sulphated. First off get some BatAid and put 2 pills in per cell (put them in the holes for topping up the acid).

Then take the car for a good run or better still remove the battery and put it on fast charge if you have a charger with that facility.

This may fix it, if the only problem is sulphation. If however the plates are warped which happens as the battery gets older or it has been overcharged, then the battery is toast.

This is assuming that the battery is not a sealed for life type in which case there is little you can do.

Be carefull when fast charging, don't stand close to it as batteries have been known to blow up when fast charging - make sure that you have the cell fillers open to vent the gas.

Cheers
    Last edited by lucky; 17 August 2004, 11:45.

Comment

You are great!

Originally posted by lucky
      First you need to see if the Alternator is charging, have a look at the gauge on the dashboard, should be around 14 volts or greater when the engine is running. If this is charging OK then the next thing to do is check the battery acid levels and make sure they are OK. Top up if neccessary with distilled water.

You can sometimes recover a battery if it is not too old and not too badly sulphated. First off get some BatAid and put 2 pills in per cell (put them in the holes for topping up the acid).

Then take the car for a good run or better still remove the battery and put it on fast charge if you have a charger with that facility.

This may fix it, if the only problem is sulphation. If however the plates are warped which happens as the battery gets older or it has been overcharged, then the battery is toast.

This is assuming that the battery is not a sealed for life type in which case there is little you can do.

Be carefull when fast charging, don't stand close to it as batteries have been known to blow up when fast charging - make sure that you have the cell fillers open to vent the gas.

Cheers
      thx I have change it for a new one the old one is the Bosc one I had it more than 4 years... it only cost me 82 euro

Thanks again I definatly keep you in my buddy list

Comment

Originally posted by basic_meo
        thx I have change it for a new one the old one is the Bosc one I had it more than 4 years... it only cost me 82 euro

Thanks again I definatly keep you in my buddy list
        Hey no problem.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X