X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator stopped charging after going through deep mud

As per title,
    But a couple of queries.
    What happens to stop the Alt from working? I have searched on here and the www and cannot find a definitive answer, most forums just say "get a new one". Well mine is quite new, its just stopped working... so anyone know what actually breaks and how they are repaired? I assume there is a market for recon alternators...

Secondly, all the lights have not come on as per the book. It did the last time i had the same issue, but now the dash is normal. I've recharged the batteries and unless you knew, you would not know the alt isn't charging... (just before it died I had 9V across the terminals!)

Any suggestions?

Anyone got a spare for a KZN130?
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

It might dry out, leave it a while.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

My suggestion is no help but.

Never break down in the company of 2.4 owners they will never let you forget John !

Comment

leave it to dry and spray some wd40 in it (will disperse any water in there)
        www.apmautos.com

Comment

They can dry out, or take time to clean slity crap off the brushes and work ok. Unusual to not get all the idiot lights though.

Check you've not broken a wire near the Alt plug with a rogue branch or stone.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            slity crap
            You daft racist!

Might take it off and open it up then tomorrow, worth a shot. Its just odd everyone just admits defeat and gets a new one... Agree its weird the xmas lights weren't evident... maybe blown a fuse elsewhere?
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Now thats a typo!

SILTY!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've got 2 dead ones here so if anyone knows of somewhere which re-cons them for a good price then I'm all ears...
                Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

Comment

Cheers for that. I'm going to pull the alt out on friday and have a look inside...

As for checking the wiring, I have checked all the connections are clean and tight and have put a V meter across the +ve out put and earth. This showed 12.3V. I then put the meter across +ve and -ve on the battery and got 12.3V

Tried the 2 places again whilst revving the engine - no change in V.

I was surprised there is a voltage at the alt from the battery though. Could this cause leakage as it spins, as it's not producing its own current?
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Well that was a waste of time.

Pulled the alt out today. Took the ally cover off the back. There are orange rubber sleeves over the wires from the brushes i believe, 3 were torn and pulled out. There is a centre brush on the spindle, the rubber for that was also split. I'm thinking some stoney mud must have got in and rolled about, ripping bits of rubber as it went. I'm assuming any current generated is now being 'earthed' by the lack of proper insulation. I couldn't really get to the internal brushes, so gave up, put it all back together and yes, you are right, it still didn't work. Oh well, at least i can 'see' damage! Time to order a new one methinks!
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                    X