Rear window operation from the key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window operation from the key?

The rear window on my Surf only closes with the key, it won't open. It goes up and down just fine from the switch.

I've opened the back door up, and checked all the connections, and used a multimeter to confirm that the contacts in the key mechanism work fine.

I can only guess that it might be a broken wire somewhere, but i'm having a bugger of a time tracing the wiring. The wires from the key switch run along the top of the door, then down the right hand side, where they appear to join into a bigger wiring bundle. I think they then emerge in a large 6 way connector attached to the lower right side of the door, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know for sure where the wires emerge, and how I might go about fixing this?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Did you take the end cap off the end of the key barrel, from the inside?
    There is a small disc with a grove that turns with the key, take the disc out
    and you will see the small metal strip worn out, just glue another small sliver of shim where it is worn.
    I had this problem 3 weeks ago.
    I hope this is of some help, let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Snortingbull
      and you will see the small metal strip worn out, just glue another small sliver of shim where it is worn.
      I tested the key barrel by connecting my multimeter between the common and each of the other contacts on the socket, and confirmed that when the key is turned either way one of the connections is made. Of course, I'll check it again tomorrow just in case of operator error.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Snortingbull
        I had this problem 3 weeks ago.
        I hope this is of some help, let me know
        I had a simmilar problem in december, window went down on it's own! Wouldn't go back up with key or switch, and I could hear clicking from the re-lay. Removed microswitch from end of barrell and gave everything a good dose of WD40 and it's been fine since. It's worth cleaning and lubricating all the workings in the tailgate before the summer ends to try and prevent any nasty surprises in the winter.
        Pete

Comment

Behind the rear trim panel is the rear window ECU, if your switches are all OK it probebly this, it has relays inside that can fail.

Lindas trucks rear window only works from the switch, not the door, first it would only go down, now neither direction works from the key, key switch is fine, wiring is fine so I'm guessing its that.

There is lots of info on website around the 'net sites about changing the relays (don't think the links work in my website, so its probebly not worth going there yet!!), its not a hard job, trickiest bit is getting the rear trim of in one peice, so we just use the switch inside for now.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Behind the rear trim panel is the rear window ECU, if your switches are all OK it probebly this, it has relays inside that can fail.
            Hmm, that sounds promising. I did notice that when I turn the key to go up with the window already up I could hear a faint click which I put down to the motor attempting to go up but was probably actually the relay. There is no click when trying to go down.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
            X