What is this dangly thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this dangly thing?

There is a dangly thing on the near side under the wheel arch with wires that come from the headlight enclosure as far as I can see?

I has two wires, blue & a yellow with black trace. They go into a connector which has a plug arrangement into it with two black wires going to what looks like a wire ended pointy bulb that is totally black.

With the lights on it does not light up & has dangled there for years.

The reason for my interest is that it was covered with mud etc & I now have problem with the headlights coming on when the vehicle is unattended. I wondered whether this mystery gadget might be providing some leakage allowing the triggering of the headlight relay which buzzes when the fault is present? Any ideas gratefully received.

I noticed one of those for the first time the other day on a 3rd Gen, I guessed it was some sort of air temp sensor.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Actually i think its the sensor for the compass/altitude meter thingy above your head.

Comment

Ok thank you Tony.

But should it just be dangling like that? I can't see that it fits into anything, although its rather difficult to see with the wheel in position & a muddy driveway.

Comment

It clips to the front of the wing, on the inside just above where the bumper joins, so it can get covered in mud easily.

I'll try and snap a pic.

Comment

Ok Tony thanks, there's not a lot of room in there. I couldn't see any obvious place where it had come from so a photo would help.

I was sort of hoping it was something to do with the lighting circuit that would explain why the headlights come on when the car is unattended.

Comment

here you go...

The orange thing is the back of the front N/S indicator.

I don't think its anything to do with lights, it wouldn't hidden behind bumper in the gloom and $hite if it was light sensor.

Comment

Ok Tony that's super thank you. Gosh you keep it clean up there, though I don't suppose you live down a lane with no tarmac

Comment

It's the outer ambient air temperature sensor for climate control.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by fv1620 View Post
                    Ok Tony that's super thank you. Gosh you keep it clean up there, though I don't suppose you live down a lane with no tarmac
                    You're joking right? Have you seen MY truck? and where I live!?

This is a customers truck, after I'd just pressure washed it before collection.

Cheers Nev, first guess was right, my 3rd Gen parts list is all in Russian, but it was on the same page as the overhead display, so it must have been something to do with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X