Rear Courtesy Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Courtesy Light

Hi, this is my first entry and I’d like to offer something back to this brilliant site. I’ve learned a lot from everyone, the depth and interest amongst members is astonishing.
    I live in a very dark place, a tiny Hebridean island where the nearest street lamp (and policeman (who's also a Surf owner !)) is an hour’s ferry away (downside, diesel is £1.83 a litre !).
    Anyhow, I need good lights, including interior lights, especially since I’m the island’s linesman going out in the depths of night fault finding and switching the electricity on (and off).
    I’ve recently got a 2nd gen 2.4 LN130 with a few age related problems. But I’m working through them thanks to you lot. There’s only 20 miles of road here and I spend most of my time off road, in bog, sand dunes or beach. The surf’s the first vehicle I’ve managed to drive to my house in in winter, so I'm impressed!
    Anyhow, I decided to mend my rear courtesy light. On first attack with the multimeter it all looked OK. However, the fault(s) lies under the tiny alloy rivets that peen the switch contacts to the silver strips (well should be silver in colour) that connect switch to bulb holder. Even though the rivets peen metal to metal an oxide film had built up UNDER the connection and there was no continuity throught the contact surfaces.
    Remedy: 1) squeeze/push out the alloy rivets, easily done with a sharp knife, 2mm drill or tiny screwdriver. The rivets are soft as sh1te. 2) Clean, by scraping off the oxide, the surfaces of the ‘silver’ strip and brass switch contacts and then 3) refit using M2 bolts, nuts and washers. Took about 30 minutes and cost £1 for a pack of 20 bolts etc from eBay, and a new LED replacement bulb for 55p (31mm 16 SMD LED), again eBay. Here is a knife attacking the first alloy rivet. Just one turn and the rivet was so loose, it just fell out....

Below's a pic of the unit with one rivet pushed out...

and the bits that fell out to be cleaned, with a new M2 nut and bolt

and, below, the final clean and working unit with M2 bolts installed in place of the alloy rivets and a 16 SMD (surface mounted Diode) LED replacement 'bulb'.... Sooo much brighter....
    Last edited by bonynoliver; 28 January 2012, 21:47.

Welcome on board Tony, enjoy your stay.

Excellent write-up by the way.
    How regular is the postal service out there, or do you have to go and collect it?

Comment

Great little write up... I also bought those 55p LEDs ... changed all 4 interior lights, they are excellent !

Comment

Bushwacker

The post comes three times a week, weather permitting - which means in the winter, sometimes just once a week. I still have to fetch my post from the ferry cos my house is 1km from the road and the 'postman' can't get his van anywhere near (road means a twin strip of rubble with rare arctic/alpine/machair flowers growing in the middle, in summer).
        eBay is a savour, most motor factors want to send by courier and charge £25 to deliver a washer ! the post office charge no extra. RoughTrax, Milners and Fish Bros. are all brilliant. Just a phone call and they'll send by post or Parcel Force at no extra cost.
        Laithwaites deliver wine with no extra charge. What else could one want?
        A trip to 'Halfords' takes 3 days - six hours on a ferry, two nights B&B and a 200 mile round trip and when you get there they have no idea what a Surf is.... I don't go there.
        We can legally drive without an MOT, so we all buy MOT failures from the mainland and drive them till they drop. You wouldn't believe some of the antics. A friend with a hilux pickup has no lights and he drives at night on his hazard flashers. Blinking in sync is recommended......
        No idea why anyone would live on the mainland !
        Last edited by bonynoliver; 29 January 2012, 09:56.

Comment

Marvelous!

Comment

Lol

Comment

Looked at isle of coll on google earth nice beaches!!!

hello

Comment

beaches

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post
                Looked at isle of coll on google earth nice beaches!!!

hello
                Hi Ploddit. Yes, we have 23 beaches to choose from, some soft and some rock hard. Here's one near my place where we often collect seaweed for the garden...

and another, 2km long, that I have to travel regularly for work. OK if the tides out but a real drag otherwise as I have to plough through the dune edge in very soft sand - or in the surf.

Comment

Just superb!

Comment

I really feel for you ... driving along sandy beaches , up rocky inclines, through water on an almost daily basis. It must be awful

We pay for that experience and drive miles and miles to get there ! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Balllsy View Post
                      I really feel for you ... driving along sandy beaches , up rocky inclines, through water on an almost daily basis. It must be awful

We pay for that experience and drive miles and miles to get there ! lol
                      Diolch yn fawr iawn, Balllsy. Your kind words of sympathy are gratefully received as it is tough. The plus side of all this torture is that we share having to pay full road tax, yet, it's not been on, or anywhere near, a motorway, 'A' road or real tarmac since I bought it. I can only dream of your silky smooth road experiences. Perhaps we'll have to grab a nice bottle of malt and head for a beach for consolation.

Comment

Working...
                      X