Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate control electronics 3rd Gen kzn185

Hi.
    First post for me here. (1999 3rd Gen Surf, 3.0TD intercooler).

My electronic climate control (HVAC) is doing the temperamental thing that they do where the buttons don't work, then they do, then they don't or they operate some other function on the unit. I believe a few fellow onwers have a similar problem.

So, I took my unit out and opened it up to see if there was anything obviously wrong with it, like a dodgy connection or switches. I'm no electronics expert but I can handle a soldering iron and a multimeter, so I checked the soldered joints for cracking (dry), changed 5 capacitors for identical new ones (regardless of condition of the originals), replaced all 4 blown green bulbs with LED equivalents......but no difference at all (except that I do now have green lights that work).

Has anyone on here who has had a similar problem managed to sort it out ie. found the suspect component(s) and replaced. I don't want to have to exchange this unit for a reconditioned one from the US if I can help it.

Some clever electronics type must have a better clue than me. Can post pics of the 2 boards if required. Desperate for your help. Thanks.

try this lot?

Comment

Thanks.
      I appreciate the link and will ask them for a price. More out of curiosity as I can imagine what the £££ will be.
      Not the ideal solution but is this the only route for me to follow?

I'm kind of hoping someone knows which particular component(s) is(are) responsible for the common failure ion these units so I can perform a cost effective DIY solution.

Comment

Hi, I have the same problem and I am reluctant to get a new unit because the same thing will likely happen to it eventualy. I hate these button pressy things and I would much rather have analogue sliders/dials like the old style heater controls.

I am wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the pin-out of the output of the unit - with this it might be possible to reverse engineer a simple panel with rotary switches/toggles for fan speed, heat level, A/C on, and fan 'direction'.

'One Day' I may get time to sit there and work out the pinout empirically with a multimeter..... one day.......

Comment

Working...
        X