Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Woes

Hi all

Apparently I either have a poltergheist in my truck or something has gone very wrong with the electrics in it and I wondered if anyone had experienced similar problems. I have a 3rd gen, SSRG (KZN185)

The problems are not happening all of the time which is why I am a little flummoxed. I took it to Toyota for what it was worth and they didn't have a cable to connect to the computer, therefore they could not make any diagnostic checks (wouldn't mind any suggestions on that score).

Problems so far include:

Intermittent speedo (Daily)
    Overdrive light flashes on and off (every other day)
    Inability to remove the ingnition key (comes and goes, does it for a week or so then nothing for a while)

The garage has checked these systems physically and found nothing wrong, which is why I suspect the computer and just need a bit of feedback from anyone that may have experienced something similar.

Cheers

Don't know about the ignition key release problem, but the flashing O/D light and the speedo problems are very likely linked.
    The O/D light flashing is a sensor fault warning and can be easily investigated without need for a computer, as follows:

You will have a small black plastic box fitted in top of your engine bay - It is bolted next to the power steering fluid reservoir and has 'diagnosis' marked on the lid. Open lid and using paper clip, bridge across the E1 and TE1 terminals.

Then switch on ignition (don't start engine) and your O/D light will start flashing - not the regular flash that you get when driving but a sequence of flashes will 'spell out' a number which relates to the fault code.
    For example, mine was 4 flashes...short space...2 flashes.....longer space then repeat of previous - this was fault code 42 (speed sensor circuit)

Once you have your code, refer to the General Servicing sticky thread at the top of the Technical Mechanical General section - someone has scanned in the fault codes for 1KZ-TE engine.

Then it's a matter of checking the relevant components for continuity. I think common problems with speedos are breaks in wiring or break in circuitry on back of clocks. If yours is fault 42 - try checking continuity from speed sensor on Transfer Case back to the clocks.
    The speed sensor has three wires to its plug. From memory one is 12v power supply, one is earth and other (grey with blue stripe) provides output signal to the clocks. This wire will come into one of the multi-connectors in the back of the clocks or in my vehicles case it was after-market connected to a small black 'box of tricks' that I assume converts from KM/H to MPH calibration.

Once you've fixed your problem, to clear the flashing O/D light, go to fusebox under bonnet and remove 10A fuse which is marked on lid as 'STOP'. Leave fuse out for 30 secs I think and replace - this will reset the fault warning.

Good luck
    Last edited by knicko; 13 November 2011, 17:10.
    Nick...... Turning Japanese, I really think so !!

Comment

Many thanks, luckily the wife is off work tomorrow so I can have a crack at getting it fixed.

Regards Steve

Comment

Working...
      X