Spotlight wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight wiring question

I have two spots on the bullbar. They have plugs with three wires configured like this | _ |. There is a black wire going to one of the | connections, and a white and white/blue going to the _ |. But the spot connection (there are existing wires and they are live) on the truck only has two wires - red and black with 12V on full beam only. So the question is can I wire the spots straight into the existing wires, and if so how?
    Apologies if this is a dozy question...

Two techy questions in a day? I think you've peaked.

Comment

EDIT. They were actually on different days.

So...

Two techy questions in a month. I think you've peaked.

Comment

I know I know. I'm sorry. I promise to post a string of threads about every thought that enters my head soon to make up for it...

Comment

I'd be quick about it if I were you. You may get beaten to it.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
            EDIT. They were actually on different days.

So...

Two techy questions in a month. I think you've peaked.

Where is the "middle finger" smiley?

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
              Where is the "middle finger" smiley?

Well if whilst looking for it you find a smug smiley do let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                I have two spots on the bullbar. They have plugs with three wires configured like this | _ |. There is a black wire going to one of the | connections, and a white and white/blue going to the _ |. But the spot connection (there are existing wires and they are live) on the truck only has two wires - red and black with 12V on full beam only. So the question is can I wire the spots straight into the existing wires, and if so how?
                Apologies if this is a dozy question...
                I would have thought YES, just Scotchlock them on.
                Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

sounds like you've got full/dip connectors on there.

Join black to black then try the red to the white and failing that the blue/white till you find which works (or take the spot apart to see).

I'd avoid scotchblocks as they corrode real quick, I solder and heatshrink enough then use these to provide a disconnect/remove option.

Comment

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post
                    sounds like you've got full/dip connectors on there.

Join black to black then try the red to the white and failing that the blue/white till you find which works (or take the spot apart to see).

I'd avoid scotchblocks as they corrode real quick, I solder and heatshrink enough then use these to provide a disconnect/remove option.
                    That's what I figured, but black to black and red to either of the other terminals doesn't work. Was figuring that maybe I had to wire something else in to the other connection... I suppose I could have blown the spots themselves somehow, but they worked on my other truck... I'll take them apart and see if they have a fuse in them or the bulbs are blown.
                    Thanks - great connectors by the way - will get myself some of those.

Comment

The only explanation for three wires:

1. Dip/full headlamps
                      2. Relays in the spots

Either way makes sense to open them up and check the bulbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X