Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new electronic key cut

Guys,
    Just got my 2nd Gen Surf (delivered at 3:50 AM!!!).

I have been given only one key and its the type with a central locking sender in the key head.

The local Toyota agent has refused to get me another one, apparently the UK ones never came with the electronic wassisnames in the key handle.

Does anyone know where I can have a new key cut and programmed to work on my little, surf, pls?

Udhi

A good bunch to try is www.alarmremotes.co.uk .
    I have found they are very freindly and know their stuff.
    If they don't have a replacement key, there are universal programmable ones.

hope this helps

Comment

Thnx M8,
      Gave em a call and they were not sure about being able to do that for me - something about having to check the code that was set in the ECU(??!!).

The Search continues.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
        Thnx M8,
        Gave em a call and they were not sure about being able to do that for me - something about having to check the code that was set in the ECU(??!!).

The Search continues.
        Thats more than I got off the young lady on the phone two weeks ago.
        She told me point blank that I would have to go to Toyota.
        Would be interested in any more info from anyone.

Geoff.
        Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

I might try to contact Toyota Japan and get a set of keys from them.

Tried Sooo many times to chat to Japanese sellers, but you rarely get a reply back from them, and if there was, its as cryptic as the $!££*& tibetan Book of the dead....

Udhi

Comment

I might try to contact Toyota Japan and get a set of keys from them.

Tried Sooo many times to chat to Japanese sellers, but you rarely get a reply back from them, and if there was, its as cryptic as the $!££*& tibetan Book of the dead....

Udhi
            When I started to try and sort my central locking fob months back, I started to ask around the guys at the pit for info. A certian member had put a new central locking device on. Compared to what I think it will cost to get a new pair of keys/fobs and the trouble it is to do so, that may be the route I'll take.

Geoff.
            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Anyone any ideas, My remote key works when i`m inside the car but not outside, where`s the reciever in the box under seat, or has it got something to do with the black cable coming out of it ?
              Rick

Comment

Guys,
                Just got my 2nd Gen Surf (delivered at 3:50 AM!!!).

I have been given only one key and its the type with a central locking sender in the key head.

The local Toyota agent has refused to get me another one, apparently the UK ones never came with the electronic wassisnames in the key handle.

Does anyone know where I can have a new key cut and programmed to work on my little, surf, pls?

Udhi

I don't know if they will be able to help but try moss4x4cars on http://moss4x4cars.com/
                Gaz

Comment

Not sure if Toyota systems work the same but I had a problem with my electronic key on my old Volvo. The local Volvo garage supplied another, cut to the right configuration and then told me how to program the electronics to get the key accepted by the system.

This went something like: turn the ignition on & off quickly 6 times. This puts the system into program mode (lights on dashboard flash). You then sit in the car and press the electronic key button for about 5 secs to allow it to register, thereafter it worked fine.

I would imagine that Toyota don't use a totally different C/L/Immobiliser system on the Surf to every other Toyota they produce, so I doubt that a Toyata agent would not be able to get a replacement key. I bet if you ask one of the mechanics with electronics experience at your local Toyota dealer he should know how to program a new key for you or at least tell you how to do it. They must be able to do it for official UK imported cars, so no reason why that shouldn't apply to grey imports as well.
                  Mike G

Comment

Main Dealers don't program the keys themselves anyway, they always sub them out to locksmiths. Usually if you ask them nicely they will tell you who they use because supplying keys is just a nuisance to them.

I used to pay my Merc dealer £53 +VAT a key and they took forever and made quite a few mistakes. Now I'm paying half that and I can get a key cut and programmed while the driver waits.

Comment

Thnx guys,
                      Have you ever heard of ""FCC Numbers"? Apparently, these are printed on the sender and the reciever, You might be able to get another sender with the same FCC number as the receiver and then program them to work with each other, similar to what Tallyman suggests.

If this fails, I will have to start rooting around for a local keycutter/transponder setter as Elves suggests....excepts Elves way is waaay too easy and I feell like getting a nervous breakdown this week.....

Comment

Working...
                      X