weird electrical problem 2nd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird electrical problem 2nd gen

Hey guys, I've had a very interesting problem come up with my surf, now, if I have the lights off, when I apply the brakes, the running lights come on, and if I'm going 80km/h or faster, it kicks out of final overdrive, and ups the revs alot

I'm just wondering if anyone's had a similar problem or might have any ideas?
    thanks

The lights I'd guess is probably a bad earth somewhere in light clusters or trailer wiring socket if you have one. It usually is.

If its always done it make sure someone hasn't wired anything up wrongly to the brake pedal switch in the past, you never know.

The gearbox thing is odd, are you sure its changing down, and not slipping. I'd check the O/D switch is making good contact, and check the gearbox fault codes for a problem. Or maybe the kickdown cable is badly set up
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I have trailer wiring, it was done back in nov 09, and this problem just came up within the last month.

with the gearbox, I was playing with it today, cruising on the highway at80km/h, it was kicking down completely like normal, cruised at 2k rpm, then I turned the lights on ( to keep speed up, but still start the problem) and the tranny shifted down and rpm's jumped to 2500, turned the lights off, and it kicked down completely and went back to 2k rpm's

Comment

Maybe its the 'Light Speed' button.. LOL!

Sorry, Couldn't resist!

Sounds to me like theres a short somewhere, and when you power up the lights, its also putting power somewhere else like the OD circuit, or something like that. I'd get the volt meter out and check voltage to the OD button with and without the lights on, and work back from there.

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Originally posted by Nukes25 View Post
          Hey guys, I've had a very interesting problem come up with my surf, now, if I have the lights off, when I apply the brakes, the running lights come on, and if I'm going 80km/h or faster, it kicks out of final overdrive, and ups the revs alot

I'm just wondering if anyone's had a similar problem or might have any ideas?
          thanks
          you have a stop and tail light bulb put in wrongly , or wrong bulb , check and report please
          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

on mine when i pressed the brake pedal the dash board lights came on,turned out to be the brake light bulbs,replaced both and hasnt happened again

Comment

Well, I changed the tail lights, problem still there, so my next weekend I will dig into it further to see if I can find a cause

Comment

Bad Earths cause havoc!

I would probably say that this is down to a bad earth,stray voltages will track back through every and anything possible.That is certainley the first place I would check,its doubtful the wiring is wrong,as its worked in the past!

Comment

interesting new development, when I apply the brakes, or turn the lights on, now the right turn signal stays on ( solid, not blinking) and with the lights on, cant overpower it to blinker, but it will blink with the lights off, and the left turn signal doesnt affect any of the other lights..
                  I have a good feeling that its within the trailer wiring, or the control box for it, I took a quick gander at it this morning, but couldnt find any kinks or anything out of place looking with the wiring

Comment

so this afternoon I decided to poke around the trailer wiring, I ended up cutting the wiring and now the lights arent coming on with the brakes, so one problem solved, now to test the tranny issues on the way to work.. will update tonight after work..

thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                    X