No announcement yet.

Do I need an earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going to earth the base of the antenna, just make it to a decent earth point on the truck, rather than the carrier side of the hinge. A long earth braid will effectively act as the lower half of a dipole, and as the antenna is a whip, its best to have it directly on the ground plane. As this isn't possible in your case, just a (short as possible) decent earth will help enormously.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by mr.rosco View Post
      I am working till 6 tomorrow so i could meet you about 7 onwards or I can do any time after about 5 on Saturday, Sunday I am busy all day but I could also do any night next week after 7. So whatever suits you. I propose to meet outside the Cricket Pitch which is on the Lane next to Wolvens Lane opposit the Plough pub in Coldharbour. This is roughly in the middle of both of us I think.
      Hi Mr Rosco, I only just got your post, so can't meet tonight I'm afraid, I can do one evening next week though if thats ok with you? meet outside the cricket pitch Monday or Tuesday at 7.30?

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        If you're going to earth the base of the antenna, just make it to a decent earth point on the truck, rather than the carrier side of the hinge. A long earth braid will effectively act as the lower half of a dipole, and as the antenna is a whip, its best to have it directly on the ground plane. As this isn't possible in your case, just a (short as possible) decent earth will help enormously.
        Hi apache,

In laymen terms, if I connect the spare wheel carrier to the cast hinge with a 100mm earth braid, this will work ok?

Sorry to be a plank lol!

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
          Hi Mr Rosco, I only just got your post, so can't meet tonight I'm afraid, I can do one evening next week though if thats ok with you? meet outside the cricket pitch Monday or Tuesday at 7.30?

Cheers,

CURLY
          Sure, shall we say 19:30 on Tuesday?

Comment

Originally posted by mr.rosco View Post
            Sure, shall we say 19:30 on Tuesday?
            Coolio, see you there Mr Rosco.

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Don't mean to hijack your thread, thought it was better suited here then starting a new one for a quick question.

I decided to mount my CB antenna on the roof rack. Looking to get an earth cable too it, anyone got any suggestions on where I could bolt the cable to the body? I have noticed the bolts holding the T gutter for the Toyota roof rack... Could I remove one of the bolts and mount the earth there and do the bolt back up?

Comment

That's what I would do.

Either that or you could buy an artificial earth thing from the cb shop.

Are the bolts that hold the roof rails to the roof captive nuts, or would you need to take the roof lining out to get to the nut?

Comment

Working...
                X