X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead batteries

Hi Guys,
    my truck was dead on friday morning so got a jump start,
    and the battery level was on half, (gauge inside car)
    then after 5 mins of driving it went up to normal (just under 18)
    so on sat morning the truck started but sounded like it was struggling,
    so i topped up the distilled water and things were fine sunday ,
    but this morning the battery was dead again,

so i am wondering can it be the batteries that are shot,
    or does it sound like the alternator because i don't want to buy new batteries if its the alternator.... and have to splash out on both..

if the batteries were getting charged while driving, does that mean the alternator is working ~?
    how can i test it

Its usually the batteries, if the alt is knackered you normally get all the warning lights on on the dash.

When the battery/ies are shot, they charge fine, but won't hold a charge, so will start fine rest of the day, but will be flat in the morning, or if left a few days as they discharge.

Its also probably just one battery, it'll drain the other battery even if its ok. Get them tested individually to find the faulty one. Its nice to change both so they are matched if funds permit, as if one batt is dying the other won't be far behind it if they are the same age.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I would have thought if the alternator were knackered then you would be unlikely to see the ammeter reading getting into the normal range. You'ld most likely see it getting lower and lower as the battery or batteries gave up their charge to run the engine electrics. More likely the battery or batteries are about dead (if you have two then the good one will always be trying to recharge the dead one). Best way is to test is with a volt meter and / or use a hydrometer to test each cell electrolyte. That is usually the definitive test as it will show up any dead cells.

If you have two batteries, change both together. Roughtrax do good deals on batteries.

Damn, Tony just beat me to it!!
      Mike G

Comment

Thanks guys for the fast reply,
        (truck is now dead again )

will get the batteries tested, do you think roughtrax would be the best place for the batteries as they state on their website that they do not deliver...
        and i live in Herts which is a fair few miles away

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Surf_ltd View Post
          Thanks guys for the fast reply,
          (truck is now dead again )

will get the batteries tested, do you think roughtrax would be the best place for the batteries as they state on their website that they do not deliver...
          and i live in Herts which is a fair few miles away

thanks guys
          I had mine from a company called Manbat they have branches all over. they did make a mistake on my order but had to give me them at the price i was quoted on the phone £96 for the two.

Comment

Dont mean to upset anyone, but check the tension on your alt belt.

My surf is a swine, every 3/4 months due to the belt being worn it moves enough to generate on tick over, but if you bild the revs it slips silently and the voltage goes down to 1-2v hence wont charge back up.

My local garage (not to be used any more) took great delight in telling me he's fitted three new alts recently to customers surfs and a week later they come back saying its stil lthe same.

I've now ordered new belts and will fit over the next few weeks before the cold winter gets here again.

Check it out, its one of the cheapest fixes, but most people over look it and go for the pricey fixes.

Hope you get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyaj View Post
              Dont mean to upset anyone, but check the tension on your alt belt.

My surf is a swine, every 3/4 months due to the belt being worn it moves enough to generate on tick over, but if you bild the revs it slips silently and the voltage goes down to 1-2v hence wont charge back up.

My local garage (not to be used any more) took great delight in telling me he's fitted three new alts recently to customers surfs and a week later they come back saying its stil lthe same.

I've now ordered new belts and will fit over the next few weeks before the cold winter gets here again.

Check it out, its one of the cheapest fixes, but most people over look it and go for the pricey fixes.

Hope you get it sorted.
              hi mate,
              thought it could have been the belt, but under supervision even under high revs the batteries do charge, its only if i leave it over night,
              say for example i jump start it in the morning, and can use it all day no problems but if i leave her over night or for 24 hours ... i just get click click click click

so i think the is doing its job.

so my options now,
              go to Costco in the Morning (watford not too far from me) or order from Alpha batteries and wait another day or so for it to be delivered,
              does any one know if costco does them?
              thanks in advanced

Comment

you should get batteries from any good factors, just make sure the terminal are on the right side
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

How old are the batteries? Any older than 5 years and they're probably getting past it. I got 2 (068 and 069 I think) from a local factor for £112.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Just got 2 new ones for mine, from what i can gather they were 7 yrs old.
                    got 2 for 125 and local factors.

Comment

Recently replaced my batteries as well, and found the ones that were in it were left and right specific, with regards to the post placement. The ones I replaced with were not, and the cables would not reach to the posts, so I had to take them back and get center post models, and flatten out one of the clamps to make it work. I could not find anything L and R specific locally. Just something to keep in mind when shopping for replacements.
                      '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Its not difficult to check.

If you see over 14.4V (but less than around 15V) on the battery when the engine is running then the alternator is fine. End of.

If its less, then the alternator (or belts) is not fine.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I've now got the same issue leave it for a while and it is dead. Drive around and it seems fine so I am presuming the batteries are dead. I've borrowed one decent one to test and put it in the drivers side but after 48hrs it wouldn;t start again. presumably the passenger side has dragged it down (eventhough this is the newer of the two?)
                          Given it's fine with use I presume the alternator is putting charge back in to the batteries (the dash gauge shows just below 18amps if that can be trusted?)
                          Does anyone know a good battery supplier near Poole and what have people paid recently for 2 batteries -- I was quoted £76 per battery today which seemed steep?
                          Cheers,
                          T.

p.s. on a different note have just changed some rear springs from Milners and although it wasn't yet sagging seems much better, looking forward to testing it tomorrow...if it starts! (the downside of autos, you can't bump start...can you?)
                          Last edited by TASR12; 8 July 2011, 19:18.

Comment

Originally posted by TASR12 View Post
                            (the downside of autos, you can't bump start...can you?)
                            Yes, but don't.
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Check out your local Yota dealer for the correct batt's. Mine were a good price and a good guarantee.

Alan

part no's for them................

28800-yzzag 80d26l £63.62 Inc Vat 70 A/h
                              28800-yzzah 80d26r £73.42 Inc Vat 70 A/h
                              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X