No announcement yet.

New user... Autobox ecu pinout needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user... Autobox ecu pinout needed.

Good morning all,

I have been working the past two weeks on swapping over from my old Hilux Pick-up to a shiny, slightly older, Surf. The site has been a fantastic help with all of the little niggles but I'm afraid I can't find what I'm looking for this time.

The pickup is destined for a tidy up and an old Supra motor so I bought in the Surf with a cracked Head.

Now the Surf is up and running but without it's silly electronic diesel pump & the Autobox is getting a bit shirty with me. (Doesn't get 3rd or O/D in auto mode)
    It gets better, I have not installed a turbo yet so it's ###### slow too.

So I'm driving with the gearbox ecu unplugged & I'm interested in the idea of having a useable second gear.

I work in electronics and most of my work is building control systems so I'm interested in recycling one of our old controllers & making my own gearbox brain.

I reckon the guts of the programming is done & just about ready to install but I don't have a pinout for the gearbox ecu so I've no idea what to jam into where.

Any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Manual Control Code Complete

Morning all,

I have finished out Ver_0.1 of the Autobox control software & completed simulated testing.

I don't know if any of y'all are interested but the sequential diagram for the little controller can be seen at the link below.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...iODcz&hl=en_US

I can make all of this code available to anyone who is stuck for a gearbox controller too.
    The hardware is a Siemens LOGO! Logic controller & is pretty cheap for a basic module. (Less than €100 I think).

Current functionality is more or less as follows:
    - Manual sequential gear control via an Up/Down switch.
    - Speed signal Capture.
    - Ability to calibrate speed signal within software.
    (To be configurable through external screen later).
    - First gear not available at speeds above 20mph.
    - Manual control of Torque Converter Lock-up in 3rd & O/D.
    - Torque Converter Lock-up automatically engaged above 55mph (O/D only).
    - Torque Converter Lock-up released during braking.
    - Torque Converter Lock-up released for 0.5 seconds during
    gear changes. (This figure may be made adjustable later).

Obviously all of the numbered parameters will be adjustable within the software.

For Ver_0.2 I should have a rudimentary Auto mode selected by the ECT Pwr Button. This will be ready for testing in the next day or two.

When I go to Ver_0.3 I will incorporate a LOGO! Test display which will show calibrated road speed and allow for access to all the adjustable parameters without a PC.

I still need some help finding the pin-out for the Toyota gearbox ECU in order to get it all plugged in and tested in the real world.

I would also like to know roughly at what speed the standard Auto box goes through its up & down changes in normal relaxed driving if possible.

Cheers for looking in.
    Last edited by darrenhopper; 16 June 2011, 10:58.

Comment

Hi newbie welcome on board, enjoy your stay.

There's some wiring diagrams in the link below that might help?.......

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads.htm

I have some other ECU/transmission wiring diagrams on a CD that'll dig out later and post on here if I can get my scanner to work!

Comment

Cheers Bushwhacker, that's just the ticket!

The image below shows what I need it to.
        I do have one other question though, I expected to find the transmission had 3 ECT Solenoids rather than the 4 shown in the diagram.

Would I be correct in assuming the 4th is there to engage 4 wheel drive?

Comment

Well it just couldn't be that easy!

Seems the diagram above does not match the connector in my footwell.
          My truck was a 2.4Efi trbo-diesel and the transmission ecu connects to a Gray 26-pin rectangular connector.

If anyone can help out with an alternative diagram it would be most appreciated.
          In the mean time I will keep on scouring the net!

Alternatively, can anybody tell me where to tap in directly to the shift solenoids?
          Are they the two cylinders that sit on top of the gearbox near the shifter handle?

This box is near impossible to live with though, if I don't manage to get this patch up job working in the next couple of weeks I will just jump on in & do a manual box swap.

Cheers again for the look.

Comment

Software including Automatic shifting points complete & available for viewing at the link below:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...iYjk3&hl=en_US

This new version adds in the ECT Pwr button as a selector for Auto / Manual.
            There is also provision for the use of O/D lockout button mounted on the gearstick.
            All of the same fail-safe protection is still in place.
            And the manual Up / Down buttons will still work in the case that I have not got the shifting just right yet.

Comment

Afternoon all,

I have still not located a pinout for the Autobox controller & so have not had a chance to try out the code.

I have however found a manual box.

So if I locate the pedalbox & what-not before the wiring diagram does show up I will be abandoning this effort in favour of just having it the way it should have been in the first place!

Comment

The engine and transmission ecu's are both in the same housing, behind left hand kick panel.

Comment

Now you've cracked the autobox control how about cracking the ECU on a 3.0L 96 3rd Gen.

I feel a remap coming on
                  Now it's time to play!

Comment

I designed a circuit for manual control of the autobox on the 3.0 years ago, and another member built it with some small practical changes.

Started out with the aim of being able to lock gears / TC for economy, but ended up going the whole hog so the box could be controlled manually. Solenoid drive etc is all accessible at the ECU connectors.

Links to diagrams of what I did and diagrams of the ECUs are around somewhere. Have a search through past posts. What we did may help.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If you need ECU pinouts etc..., I have just uploaded a zip file onto my hosted web servers that contains all manner of techie info and workshop manual pdf's. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of pdf's with ECU engine/gearbox pinouts etc....

Hope it's useful.

Here is the thread i've just posted and with the link.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...238#post728238
                      Now it's time to play!

Comment

Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately I have not been on the site for a litle while.
                        First I got tired of the Auto & swapped in a manual. Everything went great for about a week.

Then I was inside-d on a roundabout about 2 weeks later & the truck flipped. Now it's sitting in the yard waiting for the insurance man to make a decision on what to do.....

Comment

Working...
                        X