Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow plugs and passenger side door electical dead

Having issues with my 1990 2.4L surf.

Bought her last august, and everything seemed to be fine. Then last fall I had all 4 glow plugs go on me (I'm in a damn cold climate and was at a dorm where I couldn't plug in, so I was cycling them A LOT to get it started) replaced them at christmas when I got back to Canada (can't get them in the US AFAIK)

In the last week or so, it's finally warmed up (above freezing most mornings) and I started having issues starting again. Now it's pretty much impossible w/o starter fluid, which makes me figure the glow plugs are dead again only 4 months later. Anyone know of a cheapish source for them in North America? I found one shop in Vancouver who can get me all 4 (I think 3 are dead from the way it's starting compared to last time) for $140, or individuals for $40 a piece.

Second, all the electonics on my passenger side door stopped working last week. Lock, window, mirror, everything. I'm no good with that sort of stuff, used to older vehicles w/o this fancy gadgetry. Anyone have ideas on where I should start looking?
    Last edited by farmer; 11 April 2011, 04:34.

I can't help with a US parts supplier, sorry.

The door electrics failing are a common fault. The wires, where they pass into the door will be broken, stripping them out and repairing or replacing the damaged wires is the only fix.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks. I found one place on ebay that is a bit cheaper, ~100 USD shipped from the UK for a set of the genuine toyota ones.

I'll try ripping the wiring apart leading to the door this weekend.

Comment

Just a side thought, I`m not 100% Sure of the electrical layout on the surf`s yet but most if not all diesel engines with glow plugs also have a glow time relay which keeps the plugs energized for a set time, it`s entirely possible if you are continuously cycling the glow plugs that you have caused the relay to heat up to the point that the internal contacts have fused together, this would cause it to keep the glow plugs on until they all blow, hence them all going at the same time. It`s unusual for all the plugs to go together so it may be worth changing at the same time.

You can also test the glow plugs without removing them, using a multimeter check the resistance between the top contact of the glow plug and the engine block (any good earth point in the engine bay will do) and you should see between 0.7 and 3 Ohms at normal engine temperatures, anything wildly different or no reading at all indicates a failed plug.

Just a couple of ideas that might save you some money in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X