Radio fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio fitting

Ok then I have a new radio, already had enough of Radio 2 not too fussed about 5 Live, how do I fit it?

I refuse to take it to a shop as I have just spent a small fortune on it having the head fixed

Originally posted by AJP
    Ok then I have a new radio, already had enough of Radio 2 not too fussed about 5 Live, how do I fit it?

I refuse to take it to a shop as I have just spent a small fortune on it having the head fixed
    Try a search, how to fit radios has been covered many times.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I have the technical abilities of a housbrick, and I did it.

You need to unscrew all of the dash and let it hang down then change the radio.

Here are a few hints.
      A. Make sure you have a second car so you can get to the shops to get the bits you have forgotten.

B. To avoid 1, you need,
      1. Converter block to convert the Surfs electrics to the standard ones, costs about 5-10 from Halfords.
      2. Ariel converter so you can plug the ariel in.(not sure if you need this - this might have been for my other car ?)
      3. Make sure the stereo has a japanese fitting, some English one do not fit the surfs mounting brackets (I know this first hand).
      4. If it's not a double din stereo, get a blanking plate or a storage box to go in the space - i'd recommend the box.

Comment

Originally posted by rob88
        I have the technical abilities of a housbrick, and I did it.

You need to unscrew all of the dash and let it hang down then change the radio.

Here are a few hints.
        A. Make sure you have a second car so you can get to the shops to get the bits you have forgotten.

B. To avoid 1, you need,
        1. Converter block to convert the Surfs electrics to the standard ones, costs about 5-10 from Halfords.
        2. Ariel converter so you can plug the ariel in.(not sure if you need this - this might have been for my other car ?)
        3. Make sure the stereo has a japanese fitting, some English one do not fit the surfs mounting brackets (I know this first hand).
        4. If it's not a double din stereo, get a blanking plate or a storage box to go in the space - i'd recommend the box.
        Converter cable / Plug can be got from the Shop on here. Go to www.hiluxsurf.co.uk and click on shop on the left hand side. Better price than you will get from Halfords. It's £7.50 incl P&P.

Cheers

Comment

It may be cheaper from the website, but when you have half your car dismantled you can't realy be picky.

Comment

thanks

All done and working no problems

Comment

Guys
              Any links to places where we can get those 2DIN to DIN adapter cradles? With cubby box would be plain dandy

Ta
              Udhi

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
                Guys
                Any links to places where we can get those 2DIN to DIN adapter cradles? With cubby box would be plain dandy

Ta
                Udhi
                You can use the existing brackets to fit the radio to and the pocket. You need a universal pocket, Halfrauds or any good ICE shop.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Koi
                  That sounds too easy for the rules of 4X4 wrenching......you sure the engine or the gearobox main mount isnt connected to one of the insignificant looking radio screws? I bet the GB will drop out when I take the old radio out......or is that just my Landie...

Udhi

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
                    Guys

Ta
                    Udhi
                    it's autoleads that make them...um.. there's a part number too but i can't remeber it!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                    X