yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear window - new motor, new relay, still wont go down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window - new motor, new relay, still wont go down.

Surf rear window needs its own forum, eh...

Here's a puzzle...So my window was slow up and down when I bought the smurf. Replaced the motor, greased the lifter mechanism and siliconed the rubber seals. Sorted, up and down beautifully.

Then a couple of days later, intermittently working from both interior and exterior switches, and now wont go down at all off the switches. Still goes up off the switches. Still goes up and down with 12v direct to motor.

I could hear the up relay clicking, but not the down. Cut the top off the down relay and cleaned it. Nothing. Pressing it manually closed made it work. Had a mate replace the relay, still nothing.

So, no power to the down relay only, very suspiciously straight away after replacing the motor. Relay still operates the motor if closed manually. Does this make sense to anyone??

Is there are how-to for a DIY switch that I can wire in? Was thinking of hiding it behind the spare wheel, using the blanked hole thats already there..

Last edited by Johnny Graham; 24 January 2011, 22:02.

I fixed my rear window with lots of help from others on the forum,

anyhow window going down make sure the rear wiper has parked correctly there is an interlock that stops the window if the wiper is not parked correctly

Back in the day Baby

Comment

have you checked all the cables for a loose wire..

just before xmas mine stopped working, would go down, but not up..

first was the key switch, swapped that out for another which has helped the key sticking, but it still wouldnt go up, so reversed up onto some car ramps (give even more room underneath) and split open the casing on the wiring..

leaves bottom left of tailgate, squeezes between body n bumper, under truck then up to the ECU

I found 2 of the wires dodgy, 1 of them had a split but hadnt yet broke, and another had completely broke

for now I bodged it up by adding in a section of wire, then stuck a block over the joints and taped them all back up again (will sort properly nr spring)

so could be just as simple as a couple of split wires, especially if putting power to the motor it goes up n down

Comment

Having read how notorious these are for not working, I stripped mine down yesterday to have a good lookie at it. Very surprised to see a very pristine, well-greased and apparently very new-looking bunch of gubbins in there

Comment

Thanks folks. I wonder if the rear wiper park is playing up, pretty odd that power is lost only to the down relay otherwise.

However, reparking and generally wobbling about the rear wiper hasnt helped. How does it detect whether the rear wiper is in position anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Graham View Post
            Thanks folks. I wonder if the rear wiper park is playing up, pretty odd that power is lost only to the down relay otherwise.

However, reparking and generally wobbling about the rear wiper hasnt helped. How does it detect whether the rear wiper is in position anyway?
            have you checke the wires

could be only the down wire thats snapped

Comment

i am in the same boat,
              but mine will go down , but wont go up.....
              before Christmas i also noticed the window going up and down very slowly
              and then all of sudden it stopped working,
              the motor seems fine as i can hear it,
              so would also like to know if anyone knows what it can be???

Comment

Originally posted by Surf_ltd View Post
                so would also like to know if anyone knows what it can be???
                Sorry, I think this may be a new issue that's never been discussed before. Try the search function, just in case.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Boot Locked

Ok guys to continue in the theme of 4runners having dodgy back windows.....

Now mine has played up. In the rain no less. grmphhh

My window has, somehow, gained an angle. - It is now lower on the drivers side by an inch.
                  The boot will not release the lock on the drivers side either.

It stops and goes, with a wiggle and a pull.

The window i guess is on a bracket and something is up there..... but the boot release lock? wtf? weird..... any ideas????

-Chris
                  4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Chris this sounds like one of the runners that's fitted to the bottom of the window has rusted out and the roller on the mechanism has probably come out the runner.You will have to take the carpeted panel and metal plate off the tailgate to investigate it
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris QTown View Post
                      Ok guys to continue in the theme of 4runners having dodgy back windows.....

Now mine has played up. In the rain no less. grmphhh

My window has, somehow, gained an angle. - It is now lower on the drivers side by an inch.
                      The boot will not release the lock on the drivers side either.

It stops and goes, with a wiggle and a pull.

The window i guess is on a bracket and something is up there..... but the boot release lock? wtf? weird..... any ideas????

-Chris
                      I suspect rusted away window channels
                      Fron Toyota
                      Part No ------------- Description --------------- Price
                      69907-35016 -------CHANNEL,GLASS -----------£10.18+VAT
                      69907-35020 -------CHANNEL,GLASS -----------£10.18+VAT

Comment

I took those 2 things off this morning but wasnt too sure what to look for, ill investigate again tonight with that new info, thanks!

- bit squishy in there with the metal casing

and thanks spacast! very helpful to know
                        Last edited by Chris QTown; 30 January 2011, 23:40.

Comment

Ok guys to continue in the theme of 4runners having dodgy back windows..... Chris
                          Do they ?
                          Had mine 6 years never played up once, regular maintainance is a good thing
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

koi

koi - yep, big issues.... check the forums =]

u must be one of the lucky ones

Comment

koi - yep, big issues.... check the forums =]

u must be one of the lucky ones
                              Hehe, that made me laugh!

In the case of people who can hear their motors turning but no actual window action it's most likely that the rubber block bonding on the motor plate has failed.

I serviced mine two weeks ago with some help from the links in the thread I started HERE.

I believe that should sort out Surf_ltd at the very least but Spacast, those are similar symptoms to what I had so it would be worth checking this out too.
                              The block slips so the window doesn't go down far enough to release the lock mechanism.
                              Luckily I was able to silicone spray the rubber channels to give the window a chance of moving more easily and so I moved it all the way down, open it up, removed the clipped on carpet cover and the black metal cover underneath and closed it all up again.
                              With the door closed I was in the boot (which kept me dry and warm as an extra bonus!) and as the window was then closed (with a bit of pulling to help it) the mechanism and motor were exposed.
                              3 bolts later and the motor was out.

I then went inside to do the repair and reversed the process to a now super speedy rear window!

Thanks,

Ray.
                              Last edited by lord_flashart; 2 February 2011, 23:47.
                              I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Working...
                              X