yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.0L auto to manual conversion, no start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0L auto to manual conversion, no start.

Hello all

writen this twice before and it didn't post so i hope three don't come up at once.

converted my auto 3.0L 2nd gen surf to manual.
    all bolted in so ready to go (hopefully).

when i turn the ignition on i get relays clicking in the engine compartment, and dash lights. when i turn it to start, nothing more.

reminds me of the auto when its not in park.

i was wondering if some of the plugs from the old auto gear lever need to be fed or a loop fitted, something like that.

i tried starting with my foot on the brake as per auto, but no difference.

i have the 4wd lever connected up.
    all the connections on the manual gearbox are plugged in except one below the levers which doesnt match my loom. no reversing light so i'm guessing its that.
    the batteries are good.
    i tried plugging in the auto lever assembly alongside and in park to see if it would start and i could then work out which was the feed i needed, but so far only succeeded in making it hold onto the ignition key, so some room for improvement there.

any suggestions anyone?

many thanks

Sim

have you plugged in the socket by the auto shifter, that does the key thing or the big white plug on the auto box where the shift rod goes it, the socket on the autobox where the P or N switch gets it input.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hello Tony

thanks for reply

i have manual gear levers in place and the 4wd lever plug connected.

i connected auto lever cluster alongside to see what happened and so far just gained the key grip effect.

on manual gearbox big white auto plug has nowhere to go so its unplugged.

all my manual box sockets are plugged in to the corresponding plugs on my loom, except for the missing two pin below shifter, which i think could be the reverse sensor.

i'll look at the old autobox and see if the park sender could be 'borrowed' in any way, even temporarily. seem to remember its external, but havn't looked that closely. yet..

all suggestions appreciated.

Sim

Comment

Originally posted by hypoid90 View Post

on manual gearbox big white auto plug has nowhere to go so its unplugged.
        Yeah, thats what i ment, you'll have to find the two connections and bridge them to make the ECU think its in P or N.

The socket comes off the side of the gearbox, if you wanted to be really redneck you could plug it in, find P or N postions and cable tie it out the way.

The reverse light feed is on this plug to, if you can find it you could connect it to the reverse switch on the gearbox, or even just a switch on the dash for reverse lights.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony.

just back in from the garage and got it fired up with the sender from the auto box plugged into place and turning it until it started o.k.

will deffinately try and by pass it as otherwise its going to let me down sometime.

thanks for tip off about reverse sender being in there too, obvious really.
          (when someone points it out)

cheers

Sim

Comment

I am doing this same swap. Did you ever find the reverse wires?

Comment

Reverse...

Hi There

The reverse wires i found quite easily.
              With a test bulb, clamp, wire and a spike i tested which wires to the old auto box sensor were live when i turned on the ignition. (drew a diagram as a lot of wires).
              Then with assistant inside with handbrake on, out of gear etc i turned the sensor with a big screwdriver.
              There were two points where the engine would turn over (oh yes, assistant tried key each time i asked as i moved the sensor bit by bit), these being park and neutral i guess. I left the sensor set at one of these points.
              At one point the reversing lights and reverse bleeper came on so i checked, found the new wire that was live and made a bridge to that from the feed to the sensor. then cable tied the sensor up out of the way.
              its done a few thousand miles like that now.

Very happy with the conversion except my manual box pops out of first if i don't hold it in, and sometimes it does so anyway.
              replaced the nylon ring at base of the shift lever, and the blue/green rubber insert in the gearbox top. much better but still pops out.
              the lube in the box when i got it was crap so unfortunately i think i'm stuck with it.

the 'overdrive off' light on the dash flashes, which if irritating could just have its bulb taken out.

Hope that helps, and if you have any thoughts on the first gear issue i'd be interested.

Cheers

Sim

Comment

Sim-
                Thanks for the response. Do you still have the diagram that you drew? I could go ahead a reproduce it the way you did, but if I can be a sloth I will

Comment

Reverse...

Hi
                  My diagram was the kind of thing that would make auto electricians nervous.
                  Just had a quick check of what i did and it goes like this..

From reverse sensor plug you have red/black and black/white (first colour being the main one, second the stripe). i got the plug with the manual box.

I connected the red/black into the black/orange on the auto sensor.
                  And the black/white into the red/white on the auto sensor. (just branched them on so the originals are un-broken)
                  Auto sensor is in place and set at park or neutral so the engine will turn over.

The speedo sender plug fitted o.k. and maybe some others which i just plugged in where they fitted. I have a few spares that had no-where to go on the manual box.

On mine the gearbox mount cross member wasn't in the right place so i lost that extra shelf bracket in the center, and had to elongate the holes in the gearbox back V bracket and crossmember to get the engine mounts sitting centrally.

Hope that helps

Sim.

Comment

Working...
                  X