Towbar electrics (3rd gen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towbar electrics (3rd gen)

In a continuing effort to trace the short which keeps blowing my indicator fuse, I need to access where the towbar electrics are connected into the loom. This would appear to be behind the drivers side rear window/boot surround panel.
    Is there a plug in there, or will it be Scotchlocks, and how much work is it to remove said panel ?
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

it depends who fitted it, most people use scotchlocks, they are generally ok, if they don't get wet but obviously not as good as splicing it, but most places that fit towbars use them.

The panel unclips, remove the trim strip across the back of the laod area, them you can pull the bottom corner of the side panel off and see whats going on.

If you have a load cover you'll need to take the brackets off, and to remove the panel more than just a hands width you'll need to take the panel on the roof off and remove two small screws, then you'll have more room to see.

Be careful doing this in the cold, the clips get really brittle and break easy, and also the panel could to if you're Apache errr, sorry, ham fisted with it...

Have you checked the towbar socket itself, this is where most problems are.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The socket/wiring could be OK, have you examined what you're plugging in to it?

Comment

Well, thanks for that very specific e-guide !!!
        I've been into the socket, and apart from one (red) wire which took a half turn on the screw, all seemed OK.Had to destroy the socket retaining screws to get in though...tie wraps will do 'til I get a new socket tomorrow. Now the fuse has stopped blowing, but I need to investigate the whole installation, as I'm not convinced I've nailed the root cause, hence the info request on the panel.
        I'm not actually using the tow socket, but have been periodically blowing the indicator 10A fuse, and occasionally it takes out the 15A fuse on the hazards and horn circuit as well.
        Had to cut short the investigation, as was doing oil and timing belt on a mates' Surf, even though that only took one hour; lucky bugger got a beauty with only 68 000 km on the clock !!
        Appreciate the help folks !!
        Last edited by malxwal; 16 January 2011, 19:59. Reason: Error
        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Well, the cause of the problem was a frayed wire which runs along underneath the plastic trim strip that runs across the boot floor alongside the doorseal. A new tow socket also fitted.
          I am slowly recovering my confidence in my indicators !
          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Working...
          X