Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder connector onto back window ok?

Hiy
    Just wondering if any of you have experience of fixing broken connector on back window re demister?
    I took apart the back door and found two breaks - the main wires were broken but so was one of the connectors onto the window itself, I'm wondering if I can solder it back on without the window breaking...
    Bit worried about trying to solder so thinking I could make some kind of a clip that would just tighten around base of window and hold connector in place.
    Any advice appreciated
    Cheers
    Barra

I've never tried it - and maybe someone who has will be along to correct me in a minute - but I'd be very wary of soldering onto the glass, even if you dropped molten solder onto it and didn't touch it directly with the iron, I'd be reluctant to subject the glass to that much heat.

Andy
    Andy

Comment

If you're experienced with a soldering iron, a repair should take less than a second, so shouldn't stress the glass. If on the other hand, you only have a plumbers iron and ham-fists available, I wouldn't try.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        If you're experienced with a soldering iron, a repair should take less than a second, so shouldn't stress the glass. If on the other hand, you only have a plumbers iron and ham-fists available, I wouldn't try.
        25watt iron and solder with the fulx in it, fibreglass pencil the two areas of metal then as Apache rightly says 1 second contact with the heat and solder and it's done.

Otherwise leave it alone.

peace
        cal
        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Big thanks to you all for the valued advice, I will post about outcome when I get round to doing the fix

Comment

Working...
          X