flat battery no charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat battery no charge

hi all have what seems to be a common problem on my 1994 3.0 td kzn130 2nd gen as soon as the weather gets a bit colder it struggles to start as the passenger side battery wont take a charge have read through a few threads on here about it and the most obvious culprit would seem to be a faulty relay that directs the charge from the alternater to whichever battery needs it but no one says where its located trust me have looked many times is almost impossible to trace wiring back from both batteries as sugested please help winter is upon us and i have no hair left to pull out grrrrrr
    [IMG]http://C:\Documents and Settings\Ian\My Documents[/IMG]

Have you had both batteries and the alternator tested.I have recently changed an alternator on a 2.4 that was having trouble starting and now its fine
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Most obvious culprit is the batteries, you don't say if you've replaced or tested them.

The batteries are connecting together directly, in parallel, there is no split between the two in the factory set up.

As far as the Alt is concerned, its one big battery.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Funny that - I've just ahd to replace both of mine today after 5 years service. "They" say most batteries last between 3-6 years depending on vehicle usage - so I've done pretty well!

After being stood overnight in the works compound for 12hours - the truck would turn over very reluctantly and if it didn't fire straight up - I'd have to jump it. Once running - it would start and stop nee bother.

Bought two HB065 from halfords at £78 each with 470 CCA - same as last ones. They don't really need to be left and right handed as they is enough give in the cables to reach.
        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

On mine(KZN130)....

...there's a great big stonking positive cable visibly connecting them both.

and I had to use a "handed" battery as the cables wouldn't reach around. Luckily I had a RH one out of another vehicle, tried it and problem solved. Remember it might only be one of them not holding the charge. Best to charge them off the vehicle and then refit one at a time and discharge by starting, lights on etc... it was quite obvious due to the green/black window colour on the cr@p battery changing after only a bit of use.
          HTH's
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            Remember it might only be one of them not holding the charge.

I remember reading somewhere that in a two battery set up - it is false economy to replace the one (most unhealthy) battery. The theory is by the time you realise the battery is n/g - it has already started to affect the health of the other battery. So when you replace the n/g battery with a new one - it's partner will soon start to affect the health of the new one.
            May just all be twaddle made up by battery sales folk - but i'm sure someone more electickery minded will put me right.

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            On mine(KZN130)...there's a great big stonking positive cable visibly connecting them both.
            and I had to use a "handed" battery as the cables wouldn't reach around.

Mine is also a KZN130 with the very same stonking great cable strapping both positive terminals together. If using two batteries of the same handedness - (new word!) if you seat the drivers side battery 180' around - so the terminals face the front of engine bay - the positive terminals end up being closer together so cable reaches no problem.

Comment

Not sayting you're wrong its just I replaced mine with another old battery, so wasn't too bothered. Tried the 180* thing and I couldn't get it to fit...maybe just me then! Both my old knackered ones work though, so I'm leaving well alone!
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

thanks for all the input yes changed passenger battery twice now when tested drivers side always checks out good same alternater supplying both batteries ones always fine the others not so would assume alt ok so is the charging relay a myth or what? cheers
                [IMG]http://C:\Documents and Settings\Ian\My Documents[/IMG]

Comment

not a myth - some car owners can fit a second battery to their cars for powering stereo systems - hunting lamps - fridges etc etc. these devices run from this second battery which is independant of the cars main starting charging circuit - hence the relay for charging. Similar to charging a carvan battery whilst on the run. It just means that should the second battery become drained - the car will still start up as it's main battery is not part of this circuit.

However - some surfs have two batteries wired in parallel fitted as standard - something to do with the winter pack - effectively give one huge battery with a lot of CCA when starting.

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                    However - some surfs have two batteries wired in parallel fitted as standard - something to do with the winter pack - effectively give one huge battery with a lot of CCA when starting.
                    All EFI 2.4 and all 3.0 2nd Gen Surfs have two batteries wired in parallel from the factory.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X