Cig lighter not working - it's not the fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cig lighter not working - it's not the fuse

Hey all, am hoping someone can help me please. My cig lighter isn't working, think it went while I was running a 12v fridge from it on a long journey.

Obviously I've checked the fuse and the clock is working. Had the lower dash surrounding it out this evening and no loose wires although the bulb in the cig lighter looks blown and the light in the ash tray isn't working.

So I'm guessing there's no power getting to it, any ideas where it's falling down?

I bought another standard lighter thinking I could drop it in. It wasn't a straight swap, in fact I couldn't suss how to get the lighter out and as it was dark, I thought I'd better get the dash back on

Is there a good place to wire up another lighter socket, I have a direct 12v feed running down the passenger side to an amp in the boot, can I tap off that? Although obviously I'd rather get the main one working, my need to USB sockets is growing rapidly!

Thanks
    Dan

PS there's a stupid amount smilies on here, never noticed that before, love it

have you metered the feed?

best thing for reliability is to run a direct feed from the battery with correct size wire and fused.
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

no not metered, I did use a screwdriver that lights up but got nothing, although I got nothing when I stuck it on the battery. Guess I need to meter it to be sure. Was hoping there was a hidden fuse somewhere

Been reading other threads on here this evening about adding extra sockets. Do I need to have 1 feed per socket, each separately amped? I love the surf because I can try and do things like thing but I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Anyone know any diagrams of getting into the centre console in a Gen 2? Found some great ones for the dash on here last time.

Thanks
      Dan

Comment

Mine stopped working on the way back from the Kent Truck show a couple o' years ago now while using an inverter ....
        Never really bothered checking it out till earlier this year, the feeds ok but cigarette lighter is U S, so mounted another triple on the gearshift tunnel n used the old feed .... job done !!
        Hope this helps

Jess
        "Cos short cuts can cost more in the lon run"
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Hi Dan

Glad to see you still got the surf Hows the RC going these days ?

With regards the lighter when mine failed it turned out to be the inner core had snapped a couple of inches from the termination on the rear of the unit.

I ended up tracing the source and replaced about 12 inches of cable just to be on the safe side.

If I remember correctly to remove it there is a plate on the back that screws over the body and sandwiches the fascia between it and the front of the unit.

Hope this helps

Andy

Comment

Working...
          X