starter motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor

im tryin to get the starter motor out its been playin up for a while and finaly given up,found a thread bout removing it but no pics,ive got the bottom nut n bolt out, power supply to the bottom left off,but can a hell find the top nut,and does the top cables come apart from each other or pop out of motor its self,got refurb kit orderd,so need it out asap as i need the motor for work

Tada http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/starter.htm ........... and once its out http://www.monthofsaturdays.net/surf...r_Motor_Refurb ..... that should about do it
    Last edited by wiggy; 29 July 2010, 13:01.
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

thanks for that wiggy,still cant get the wires off the top dont want to knack the connector,doesnt say if it pops up out of the motor or pulls apart

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26011

Sorry think its about 4 paragraphs down..if its the same thing..havent done this myself yet but been reading up on it for a bit.

Comment

give up,doin me head in,looks like its goin to be a garage job

Comment

Anyone else got any ideas?............

Comment

I've done this to replace the contacts I remember it was a $hit to get out once undone, i took it out through the near side wheel arch!
              I'll go and have a look at mine and see if I can locate the fixings!

Comment

Just been and had a look but I cant see much without taking the wheel off!

Once/If you do get it out the contact kit is a piece of cake to do!

Comment

the easy way of getting to the top nut is from the front of the engine, you need about 2ft of extension poles with a socket on the end and then its actually really easy to un do.

My haynes manual says" disconnect the leads from the starter, there is one clip connection and one terminal held by a nut and washer"

not sure I remember that but thats what it says.

read this guys write up also:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
                  Last edited by truckarms; 30 July 2010, 12:23.

Comment

thanks for all the info,had another go this morning still no joy getin it off,just havnt got the tools to get the top nut off,rang auto electric place up said they would do it if i take it up but cant get it started tried tapping it with bar n hammer still nowt,tried garage up the road if they get there work done early they gonna send some one down to take it off,have to ringem back 3.30 if not its gonna be tuesday another 2 days work lost

Comment

I used to sit there for ages trying to get it to start, hitting it will do nothing if the contacts are shot, you just keep trying until it manages to arc across the contacts and fire into life then just try to avoid turning it off, or you get stuck in petrol stations and get fed up with people who think they are clever telling you "You've got a dead battery mate" and you reply " No I havn't it's the starter motor contacts" and they say " I know a dead battery when I hear one mate" and you reply "It's not a dead battery and I'm not your mate!" then it fire's up and you drive over their stupid little car and off into the sunset until you inevitably have to stop again somewhere!

Rant

Comment

no what you mean,sittin there with it clickin away,did start after a few clicks now just none stop clickin n startin to flattin battery

Comment

When I did mine I was able to leave it in gear (I have a manual) and rock the truck to spin the starter a bit, that would get it to start every time as it was only in one position where the starter could not start.

I've done the contact replacement now, that was the easy bit!

Mine came out through the top of the engine but I have a 2.4 so I'm not sure about yours.

If you have an auto I have no idea what you can do, sorry.

Ray.
                          I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Did you get it done?

Comment

still not got it off,tried gettin hold of mobile mechanic only one local one who is fully booked up till next week

Comment

Working...
                              X