Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring - on with ignition?

Righto - first up here is my dilemma.

I intend to fit a couple of fuel line heaters this week. I bought both units a few weeks ago from saverbee on fleabay having read that a few guys on the forum use them and they looked pretty reasonable quality, etc. I have the pre-fuel pump kit and the auxiliary unit (main kit is going immediately before the fuel pump, aux kit is going immediately before the main fuel filter)

Having looked at the wiring, etc, it doesn't look too challenging to fit. Even for a relative novice like myself.

My question is - where can I find a (+ve/live) wire in the engine bay that is switched on/off with the ignition? (location/colour/etc)

Also - does anyone have any wiring diagrams for an LN130 Surf? I tried the links on the forum sticky (technical electrical) but both of them are dead.

And while I'm at it - does anyone have any hints/tips on fitting these units? (I think That Ruddy Squirrel is one of the folks that has done this - not sure about anyone else)

Thanks in advance for any help!

The cigarette lighter is one of the main ones inside the truck which is one of the things linked to the 'Dome' fuse I believe?
    I'm not sure about under the bonnet I'm afraid; I'm sure some one else will know!

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
      Also - does anyone have any wiring diagrams for an LN130 Surf? I tried the links on the forum sticky (technical electrical) but both of them are dead.

Thanks in advance for any help!
      Should be able to help with the wiring diagrams, just need to get my old PC back online later

Radio and Cig lighter would be most likely source of switched supply to feed relay

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
        Should be able to help with the wiring diagrams, just need to get my old PC back online later

Radio and Cig lighter would be most likely source of switched supply to feed relay
        The main thing I'd want to be certain about is that the source will be capable of taking 2 glow plugs on the main heater unit and 1 glow plug on the aux heater unit. I assume the relay should avoid any unwanted power surges?

I'm really not too hot on my practical 12v electrics (although I really should be given that I'm a trainee physics teacher!) lol

Comment

just me being me, electrican but not auto electrican,

if you use your radio / cigerette lighter supply to switch a relay which can be wire from either of the batteries, would be safest bet, with fuse close to battery rated for your 2 glow plugs....

Comment

Just to add an update to the situation - I'll hopefully be having a closer look at things later this week, with a view to either getting them fitted before the weekend with a bit of luck, or perhaps in the next week or two if I need to buy any more stuff & gubbins.

I'll have my camera at the ready to document things too I reckon.

Comment

I think the cable to the cig lighter is rated to 10amps (120 watts) you can't run something like a 200watt invertor on one, 200 / 12 = 16.67 amps etc.

Not sure how many amps the heater would pull though, if it's less than 10 you'd be ok.

FLEXING...
              cal
              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Calos View Post
                I think the cable to the cig lighter is rated to 10amps (120 watts) you can't run something like a 200watt invertor on one, 200 / 12 = 16.67 amps etc.

Not sure how many amps the heater would pull though, if it's less than 10 you'd be ok.

FLEXING...
                cal
                but dont forget you cant use the lighter anymore than, i would seriously consider using the cigarette lighter to switch in a 12v relay wired from the battery fused correctly for your heaters, have you a mutli-meter,

if you have you can get the resistance of your 2 heater glowplugs, and that will tell you the current rating.....

Current (Amps) = Voltage (V) x Resistance (Ohms)......

Comment

Working...
                X