X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog Lamp Switch... pin outs?

Folks,

this is the worst question...

Any one seen one of these... after my debacle with the Local Toyota Parts oik...
    this is the fog lamp switch that turned up. Looks great. Fits great, if a little long for the empty space in the centre of my centre console.

One little problem... I can work out which terminals the switch operates,,,, but...

If anyone recognises this first... and know what all the terminals are supposed to do...?

Part number reads in the first image... 84162-89105 Switch, Fog Lamp

Many thanks for your help.
    Last edited by AndyLala; 14 June 2004, 22:01.

Ok, a little further down the line.

This is what I have managed to discover so far.

Just a few questions remaining.

The switch unit has a very small lamp in it, which is obviously connected when the illumination circuit is fired up. Anyone got any ideas as to whether the illumination changes when the switch is latched?

There is one remaining terminal which doesn't seem to do anything, or relate to anything... plus of course the blanked out terminal...

any help gratefully appreciated.

andyL

Comment

Andy,

I also have one of these... and am in the process of fitting at the moment.

The internal bulb only provides night time illumination, there is no indication that the switch is operated.

I can only assume that on the UK spec cars and 4runner, that use the same switch, that there is a warning light in the instrument cluster.

I got mine from a breaker and i was lucky that he cut the wiring and sent me the connector with a couple of inches of wire still attached.

Only 4 contacts are used... the two that go via the bulb are white/black and green/grey, these seem to be common to the other switches and are an earth (wh/blk) and 12v sitched on with the sidelights... the other two wires are both red, with different marker bands, and they are the ones that will switch the relay (and warning lamp) to operate the rear light.

Hope this helps,
      Alan
      Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Originally posted by whippet
        Andy,

I also have one of these... and am in the process of fitting at the moment.

The internal bulb only provides night time illumination, there is no indication that the switch is operated.

I can only assume that on the UK spec cars and 4runner, that use the same switch, that there is a warning light in the instrument cluster.

I got mine from a breaker and i was lucky that he cut the wiring and sent me the connector with a couple of inches of wire still attached.

Only 4 contacts are used... the two that go via the bulb are white/black and green/grey, these seem to be common to the other switches and are an earth (wh/blk) and 12v sitched on with the sidelights... the other two wires are both red, with different marker bands, and they are the ones that will switch the relay (and warning lamp) to operate the rear light.

Hope this helps,
        Alan
        Certainly does, thanks...

A picture of your wiring that came with would also be great...

Thanks, andyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
          Certainly does, thanks...

A picture of your wiring that came with would also be great...

Thanks, andyL
          Andy,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I can't really work out how your original switch is wired from your description (in the PM).

Attached is a rough sketch of how I've wired mine.

I'm using the 'sidelight switched - switch illumination' +12v to operate a relay... and the relay contact operates the Fog Light and the Dasboard Warning Light.

Hope this helps,
          Alan
          Attached Files
          Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Thanks Alan,

I shall revisit this today, hopefully a little more awake than yesterday.

andyL

Comment

Sorted. Thanks to everyone that helped out.

Obvious really. Switch (with the switch) power to the earthed fog light!

Link the switched side of the circuit through the switch illumination to an earth.
              When there is power across the circuit to the fog light, the switch illumination will also light!

Bingo, its wonderful when a problem is overcome with a pleasant sufficiency of caffeine, determination, swearing, time, and blood.

After all a job isn't done well until there has been plenty of swearing, blood and stamping around in a huff.

andyL

Comment

Working...
              X