X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Power Loss

HELP ME PLEASE
    1990 2.4 TD Surf 2L type engine.
    Got in this morning, turned key to warm plugs, no problems. Turned to ignition position and starter motor gets through half a turn and then total eletrical power death!! Nothing no relay clicks or anything

No power to any functions - lights, radio, horn, anything!!! Almost as if someone cut leads to battery!!

Checked fuses in right side of drivers footwell and inside engine bay above the offside front wheel, no sign of anything blown. I'm at a total loss on this one.

Only work that has been done on it recently is a fuel pump strip out and overhaul due to leaks (don't know if the garage could have upset something on the electrics) and an oil/filter change (electrics untouched)

Are there any other fuses that could have blown that I don't know about and where are they located?

Any suggestions are most welcome, I'm totalyy immobilised at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Scuddy
    (Holding faith in his Surf but only just)
    ------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

More fuses behind glove box, have you checked power from battery/s. Could also be faulty ignition barrel see if you have live to it.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      More fuses behind glove box, have you checked power from battery/s. Could also be faulty ignition barrel see if you have live to it.
      Thanks for that

Wasn't aware of fuses behind glove box, does the box have to come out to access.

Assume to check the ignition barrel, the trim around the steering column will have to come off??

Any clues on the wiring diagram anyone (which colur wires to where?)

Thanks again
      Scuddy
      Look out! Ee

Comment

Having everything fail at once indicates a dead battery.Check the battery and terminals.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          Having everything fail at once indicates a dead battery.Check the battery and terminals.

Neville
          Terminals it was

Even though an apparently good tight connection,. current decided not to flow thru it at the moment I turned the ignition key.

One removal, clean up and retighten and it's a s good as new

Ta
          Scuddy
          Look out! Ee

Comment

Originally posted by Scuddy
            Terminals it was

Even though an apparently good tight connection,. current decided not to flow thru it at the moment I turned the ignition key.

One removal, clean up and retighten and it's a s good as new

Ta
            Scuddy
            Hmmm, wonder how common this is? On both Surf's I've owned each has only ever let me down once, each time it was a corroded/cracked positive battery terminal on the o/s battery!
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
              Hmmm, wonder how common this is? On both Surf's I've owned each has only ever let me down once, each time it was a corroded/cracked positive battery terminal on the o/s battery!
              I replaced all terminals and connections (soldered new ones on) when I got the new batteries.Never did like the Toyota terminals.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                My battery terminals were loose on both batteries when I got mine. They would not tighten any further and now have a new lease of life as earth terminals for my ham radio base antenna.

The ones I fitted were TMCs finest (The Motorist Centre) and were about £3.50 a pair. Like Neville I soldered them on and after connection put lashings of petroleum jelly around the terminals and posts. I hate crimped electrical terminals.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X