Rear window dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window dilemma

Hi I'd be grateful for for some help (spent ages searching for info but can't find what I need).
    My rear window suddenly stopped working a couple of weeks ago. It is stuck in the up position but unfortunately my dog box is in the boot(luckily the dogs weren't in it!) All I get when I try switch/key is a click from solenoid, I have checked the window lock button is not down and the rear wiper is properly parked.
    After a huge struggle I managed to squirm behind dog box and remove the trim and metal panel from rear door. I checked voltage on connector to motor while switch was pressed and got 12v so fairly confident the motor has packed up. My problem is cant see bolts fixing motor to regulator, I think I can feel them at back but they feel very rusty.
    My question is: would I be better to remove the whole mechanism and if so how do i do it?
    Any tips/pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks

This any help ?
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...d.php?t=49345&
    highlight=Tailgate+pics

There's always a Payback .. Ya just don't know where n ya never know when !!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks for that, at least I know exactly where bolts for motor are located now even if I cant see them. Left to soak in oil for day or two then will have another go. Biggest problem is not having enough room to work/see what i'm doing!

Comment

Can I ask my idiot question please?

Tail gate window has been working fine, until today - window went up, and stopped witha few inches to go. Nothing. Wouldn't go up or down. Tried pulling on window while switch being operated, nothing - so not a problem with the window sticking, and motor not strong enough.

Eventually had to drive back home with it like that.

At home, crawl into the boot, internal trim off, everything looks ok, but spray the runners again anyway for good measure.

Take lower dash off where switch is located below steering wheel - suddenly window worked - BUT only for a few seconds, then it died again and hasn't moved since!

So, how do I work out what needs replaced??

I checked the switch operation and it seems fine.

Need some idiot guide to diagnsing the fault!!!

thanks in adavance...!!

Comment

OK,

There is a double wire comes in from the lower/side part of the tailgate, goes to a plug, and then to a wire which appears to wrap around the circular plate(gear box?) below the window motor.

Took that plug apart and checked power to that point with multimeter - +12.5v with one switch position, -11.5v on the other switch position.

So, assume it's the motor at fault.

Poke around a bit to try and figure out how to take motor off with a view to raising the window.

For whatever reason, I decided to plug the motor back in for one last try..

LIFE!!

Window wound up, then got stuck exactly where it did yesterday. Shit.

Hand in underneath the window and a good hard shove under the window on the passenger side - where it has always slightly stuck and then gone up with a bit of a clunk - get a solid clunk noise, try switch again - window closed!

Now, the question is - what to replace??

The motor?

The actuator?

Both?

Comment

i can supply a motor for £30 delivered uk mainland.It may well be the runner on the bottom of the window thats at fault.If its corroded then it could be causing the mechanism to stick.It could also be the mechanism.I can do the 2 runners on the window for £25 delivered
            not sure if i got a spare mechanism tho till i check at the workshop.
            Basically you need to strip the complete mech and motor out of the tailgate and check it over.Once the mech is out you can check the runners on the bottom of the window
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

runner on bottom of window sounds like a possibility.... no teeth seem to be missing on the regulator, although it's hard to be sure..

Think I've got a motor sourced locally thanks to Alan. Will get that tonight, but won't have opportunity (or help!) to change motors over until later in the week..

Comment

tomorrow will be the last day for probably a week to strip parts as i'm in hospital on Wednesday for more treatment on my hip so i will be out of action for about a week

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  I can do the 2 runners on the window for £25 delivered
                  Will get back to you on that mate - think that might not be a bad idea.

The regulator mechanism is the one thing I'm fairly confident (though not certain!) is ok.....

Comment

I'll try to get a tailgate window out tomorrow and get the runners off in case you need them then if so the wife can get them posted for you

Comment

brilliant!

Best way to get in touch if I need them?

Comment

all my contact details are in my parts for sale thread and the phone is on up to 10pm

Comment

perfect, thanks.

Have taken a note and will get in touch if I decide to get them!

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X