Yet another rear window question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another rear window question...

Apologies for yet another question about the rear window, but I've done a search and can't find the answers I'm looking for;

My window stops part way through raising - if I leave it for a minute, it then closes the rest of the way. If I give it a hand by pulling it up myself, it closes all the way first time. Is the relay overheating and cutting out or is it the motor? I can hear what I presume is the relay clicking when I turn the key, but the motor won't spark up unless I leave it for a minute or so...

The motor has a red wire and a green wire - is one up and the other down?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

does it do the same from the rear window switch inside the truck

Comment

Originally posted by clean_me View Post
      The motor has a red wire and a green wire - is one up and the other down?
      No.

And put some silicone lube on the rubbers, that'll help a bit.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

the motors probably fubarred, there is a rubber mounted gear that comes unstuck. stopping probably lets it grip a bit, then when you try again it can carry on.

the two wires are just +ive and -ive for the motor, the relay switches the polarity each way depending on whether you are going up or down.

Take motor apart and screw the gear to its drive plate, or just swap the motor with a back window one.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

In answer to your questions etc:

Yes, it does the same thing from the dash-switch.

I've totally cleaned all the rubbers and spayed them with silicone, including the ones inside the tailgate itself, which I replaced for new ones a couple of months ago (when the old ones fell apart). I've also sprayed the window mechanism with GT85 and I still get this problem.

If the motor was losing grip on the lift mechanism, wouldn't it keep spinning when I hold the key turned/hold down the switch? The motor goes silent when it cuts out, so I'm assuming it stops.

I was thinking of putting a couple of relays between the main relay and the motor to take the current load of the motor off the main relay, if that makes sense...that's going to be a bit trickier if the polarity of the motor swaps like that, though...I'd assumed the motor would be earthed through the bodywork.

Thanks for your help - any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X