No announcement yet.

2nd Gen 4runner wiring diagram any one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen 4runner wiring diagram any one?

I have obtained a Rear Fog Light Switch from a 4Runner... by post from a breaker in Shropshire. Fortunatley they have supplied the plug from the wiring loom with a couple of inches of wire.

It has 4 wires - white/black stripe, green/grey band, red/white stripe, red/grey band (the grey bands could be white... poor light + old eyes = not sure!!)

The two red wires appear to be the actual switch, checked with meter... they are the only two that short out when the switch is operated.

I gues one of the others would be a ground and the other might be for backlighting at night?

Are surf switches illuminated at night?

Does anyone have a UK 4Runner manual with wiring diagram who can confirm what each wire is for?

If all else fails I'll poke about with the meter and a battery.

Cheers,
    Alan
    Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Originally posted by whippet
    I have obtained a Rear Fog Light Switch from a 4Runner... by post from a breaker in Shropshire. Fortunatley they have supplied the plug from the wiring loom with a couple of inches of wire.

It has 4 wires - white/black stripe, green/grey band, red/white stripe, red/grey band (the grey bands could be white... poor light + old eyes = not sure!!)

The two red wires appear to be the actual switch, checked with meter... they are the only two that short out when the switch is operated.

I gues one of the others would be a ground and the other might be for backlighting at night?

Are surf switches illuminated at night?

Does anyone have a UK 4Runner manual with wiring diagram who can confirm what each wire is for?

If all else fails I'll poke about with the meter and a battery.

Cheers,
    Alan
    The other wires will be for the night illumination. The on illumination should be wired internally in the switch.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
      The other wires will be for the night illumination. The on illumination should be wired internally in the switch.

Cheers
      hmmm... there is only one bulb?
      Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

hmmm... there is only one bulb?
        There maybe an LED inside as well as the small twistlock type one in the side.

If there is only one bulb then presumably the other wires are power feeds for the bulb which is also switched at the same time as the light. Bit of a strange one though if that is the case, most are switched internally so that they are fed by the main feed. In that case the bulb won't light if the fogs don't work (I think).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          There maybe an LED inside as well as the small twistlock type one in the side.

If there is only one bulb then presumably the other wires are power feeds for the bulb which is also switched at the same time as the light. Bit of a strange one though if that is the case, most are switched internally so that they are fed by the main feed. In that case the bulb won't light if the fogs don't work (I think).

Cheers
          I've had the meter out again... with bulb removed, I've proved that the Green and the White wires go to the bulb connections.

Unfortunately the bulb is blown... got one on order from Toyota, £4.79!... but I've had a thought ... it is a latching push button type switch, it could be that the bulb connects to the sidelight cct, providing nigh-time illumination when the switch is not operated... and then when it is operated there may some kind of mechanical shutter allows more light to the little window, or maybe just the fact that the push button is physically closer to the bulb provides the brighter "On" illumination??

The new bulb is due in on Friday... I will test it out and check my theory and post the result.

Comment

I've had the meter out again... with bulb removed, I've proved that the Green and the White wires go to the bulb connections.

Unfortunately the bulb is blown... got one on order from Toyota, £4.79!... but I've had a thought ... it is a latching push button type switch, it could be that the bulb connects to the sidelight cct, providing nigh-time illumination when the switch is not operated... and then when it is operated there may some kind of mechanical shutter allows more light to the little window, or maybe just the fact that the push button is physically closer to the bulb provides the brighter "On" illumination??

The new bulb is due in on Friday... I will test it out and check my theory and post the result.
            Sounds like your theory is correct.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X